Re: Bolognese deck ca. 1920

kukushka wrote
The female figure on the "verso" is not Italy, but probably the embodiment of the city where they produced the cards, Bari.
I assume that you say this because of the lighthouse and the ships. But why not Italy crowning Bari, or crowning the card manufacturer? I don't think the porticoes on the left side of the card are characteristic of Bari, but more of Bologna (but not the buildings above the porticoes, which seem to refer to somewhere else entirely). The cards themselves would have been for export to Bologna, the only region where this deck was used. Murari made cards for Sicily, too, I think. Might the scene be a composite of more than one place? There is also the word "STABILIMENTE," which could refer to Italy, Bari, or the company. The only other thing is the staff of Mercury that she supports, which does not seem accidental. Mercury was the god of both commerce - applicable to Bari - and eloquence - applicable to Bologna, with its law faculty.

Perhaps you can say more, as to why she is Bari and not Italy.

mikeh wrote: 14 May 2023, 09:36 kukushka wrote
The female figure on the "verso" is not Italy, but probably the embodiment of the city where they produced the cards, Bari.
I assume that you say this because of the lighthouse and the ships. But why not Italy crowning Bari, or crowning the card manufacturer? I don't think the porticoes on the left side of the card are characteristic of Bari, but more of Bologna (but not the buildings above the porticoes, which seem to refer to somewhere else entirely). The cards themselves would have been for export to Bologna, the only region where this deck was used. Murari made cards for Sicily, too, I think. Might the scene be a composite of more than one place? There is also the word "STABILIMENTE," which could refer to Italy, Bari, or the company. The only other thing is the staff of Mercury that she supports, which does not seem accidental. Mercury was the god of both commerce - applicable to Bari - and eloquence - applicable to Bologna, with its law faculty.

Perhaps you can say more, as to why she is Bari and not Italy.
I have to deepen the research about this, because Murari uses a lot of different figures on his cards, sometimes without a reasonable connection (Buonarroti's Moses for Viterbo?). And I have seen a deck of Veneto/Trevisan cards with the same female figure used on the Tarocchino. Italy was usually depicted crowned, so I don't think it's that. Maybe a virtue of some kind?
Don't know, I'll study further and let you know.
I was also thinking: do you know anybody who could help me find the two missing cards? Do you think it would be possible to buy them somewhere?

I was also thinking: do you know anybody who could help me find the two missing cards? Do you think it would be possible to buy them somewhere?
Possibly it's easier to produce a copy yourself. Laser-printer, or something like that. I once talked to somebody, who claimed he could do so. I don't have an address.
I also remember, that we had members here, who had reproduced old decks.
Last edited by Huck on 17 May 2023, 08:38, edited 2 times in total.
Huck
http://trionfi.com

Huck wrote: 14 May 2023, 13:36
Possibly it's easier to produce a copy yourself. Laser-printer, or something like that. I once talked to somebody, who claimed he could do so.
Yeah, I already thought about that solution. Now that I've got the pictures of the missing cards, I can do it.

Thanks for your comments on the lady, kukushka. Let us know if you find out anything more.

I have no idea how to get the missing cards. It seems unlikely that anyone would want to sell those two without the rest of the deck that they had, unless what they had was seriously incomplete. For now, I would think printing Vitali and Zanetti's on cardstock would be sufficient, from what I uploaded. You could glue verso and recto together. For extra support, you could add a little border to the verso and fold it over the sides of the recto. That's what it looks like they did in making your cards. A little measurement would tell you how wide to make the border. Rounding the corners is a bit trickier, perhaps.

I asked Andrea about the 1920 date. He said that Murari made these decks between 1916 and 1924. So the "1920" should be "ca. 1920", as you originally stated.