"virtual study day" of the Bembo decks now on You-Tube

The Morgan Library has recently announced that their "virtual study day" of a few months before is now at

https://www.themorgan.org/thaw-conserva ... -study-day

In an email to people who signed up, Frank Trujillo, Drue Heinz Book Conservator of the Thaw Conservation Center, writes:
There are four videos uploaded to YouTube - three presentation sessions and one Q&A session. All the videos are accessible by clicking at the upper right hand side of the video player under "1/4" and choosing a session to follow.

For any follow up questions about the content of the presentations, please send an e-mail to viscontitarocchi@gmail.com.
I would add that the presenter himself or herself is shown in a little box in the upper right, so that most of the screen is taken up by the slide they are talking about.

Session 1 starts out with an introductory presentation by Timothy Young, curator of the Cary Collection at Yale's Beinecke Library. He manages to cover the basics in a way that avoids controversial issues but emphasizes that the cards were used to play a game and even demonstrates what "trick-taking" is, using U.S. Games' reproduction deck of the Cary-Yale. Since the Fool is one of the main cards visible, he explains that a modern artist did the cards usually found in tarot decks but missing in the surviving Yale cards. In describing the game, he includes the detail that the number cards are Ace high in two suits and Ten high in the two other suits. He calls them the "red" and "black" suits, respectively. In fact, as I recall, these terms don't apply to Tarot decks with Italian suits; the actual terms are "round" (Coins and Cups) and "long" (Swords and Batons).

Then there is a nice presentation on the fashions present in the cards, most of which the presenter thinks people really wore. Hemlines were going up, at least for men, he observes, so higher for young men, lower for old.

The next two presentations in session 1 are in Italian, with no subtitles. Presumably if you e-mail the Morgan, they can send you the translations, so you can follow along. I know that they sent them out, to those of us who signed up, in an email before the original presentations.

Session Two is mostly a blur for me. It focuses on the types of photography they used, with all sorts of examples using the cards as their objects. Essentially, different elements show up differently under different light, including what is underneath the surface. Somewhere in this session they point out that the Brera-Brambilla's 3 of Swords uses different pigments than the rest of the Brera number cards, even though it looks the same.

Session Three starts with a talk on where, how, and (a little) when 15th-century painters got their dyes and pigments.

The second and third parts of session 3 were for me the highlight of the day. The second part was on what the photography, etc., tells us about the three decks, which they said they would refer to by their place of collection. First was the "Yale cards," which they also called the Modrone and never the Cary-Yale. Second was the deck they referred to as the Morgan cards and the Carrera cards, which they also called the Colleoni and sometimes Visconti-Sforza, but never PMB. PMB was a term some presenters did not even know; in the question period, Thierry Depaulis had to explain what "PMB" stood for. The third deck they called the Brera; we know it as the Brera-Brambilla. I mention the terminology because the presentation went fast and switched often between decks, using terms that are not second nature to many of us, especially "Carrera" for the cards in Bergamo. The presentation threw out so much at us that I was very glad I was seeing it on YouTube, so I could go back and hear parts of it again.

For this second part of session 3, three presenters took turns. It starts at 27 minutes 30 seconds in. First was the paper used: I had not known that the CY had a watermark, visible because the backs aren't painted. The watermark, of a dragon or basilisk, is one used between 1437 and 1442 and found in depositories, except for 2 cases, all within 250 miles of Milan. The paper sheets were originally probably big enough to divide it into 6 cards, back or front (backs a little larger, because they fold over onto the front). This does not apply to the other two decks.

Then came the part on what the imaging techniques reveal. Infrared reveals a point in the middle of the coins on the King of Coins, showing that the coins there were made with a compass. The imaging reveals the underdrawing, by what elements show up in the image. For example in the PMB Judgment card, the left-hand trumpet came down at a different angle in the underdrawing, changed in the final. At 49 minutes into session 3 comes the part about the gilding, and how the silver mixed in with the gold is what darkened and thereby turned the gilding in the PMB trumps and court cards brown. That isn't true in the CY, BB, and (most interestingly) the PMB number cards, which use pure gold, as she explains at 52 minutes.

A little over a minute later, Thierry takes over, for the third part of session 3, talking about the 85 PMB copies or semi-copies, done at various times, although little scientific analysis has been done on them, except for the Rosenthal, done with pigments made after 1885. It was nice seeing the copies, mostly in color. I had forgotten that Temperance was one of them (of the copies, not the Rosenthal). Lots of nice information about the Rosenthal, which surfaced in 2016 (except for the Emperor), starting at 1 hr and 4 minutes and going for 8 minutes. It was unclear to Thierry whether the Rosenthal should be considered forgeries, since it is unknown how they were presented originally.

Then at 1 hr 12 min. comes the section on punching, ornamenting, and glazing, by the same three as before. It also covered "restoration" overpainting. Mostly there were touchups here and there. However the coat of "Father Time" has been overpainted. I would wonder if the Popess is another example, but they didn't mention it.

Session 4 is the question and answer part. Iolon's question about the gold in the number cards was first, using the strange word "PMB"; I suspect that what he was asking got lost somewhere, or else he was just asking the presenter to reconfirm what she had said in the main talk, which she did.

I expect that I have missed reporting much of interest to us. Feel free to make additions or corrections to what I have written.

Re: "virtual study day" of the Bembo decks now on You-Tube

mikeh wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 01:28
The next two presentations in session 1 are in Italian, with no subtitles. Presumably if you e-mail the Morgan, they can send you the translations, so you can follow along. I know that they sent them out, to those of us who signed up, in an email before the original presentations.
I clicked on the caption generator then auto-translate - far from perfect but most of it made sense.

Thanks, Steve. I was a little confused at first about how to get to the "caption generator". Perhaps others are, too, at least those of us that don't watch YouTube in foreign languages. Here is what I found. After some trial and error, I see that it only works - for me, at least - for the two talks that are in Italian, starting in session 1 at 37 minutes in. There is a little wheel on the lower right of the screen, marked "settings" when you put your pointer on it. Then by clicking you can choose "subtitles/CC," and a menu will show up with the option "auto-translate". You can choose your language, and the subtitles appear in that language. Nice.

Added after watching the subtitles: The Italian of the second talk was better translated by the translation machine than the first, but the Italian of the first was more beautiful. It was nice to see close-ups of details on the Bergamo cards, where the undercoats become more visible. Also, the machine gives us two more names to associate to the PMB: Coleoni, one of the names given to the deck, sometimes becomes "of the lions", and Pierpont Morgan's first name becomes "ping pong." No wonder the U.N. still uses humans.

mikeh wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 01:51 Added after watching the subtitles: The Italian of the second talk was better translated by the translation machine than the first, but the Italian of the first was more beautiful. It was nice to see close-ups of details on the Bergamo cards, where the undercoats become more visible. Also, the machine gives us two more names to associate to the PMB: Coleoni, one of the names given to the deck, sometimes becomes "of the lions", and Pierpont Morgan's first name becomes "ping pong." No wonder the U.N. still uses humans.
Yes, I wasn't concentrating on the Italian and when I read 'of the lions' and being confused by it rewinded it to realize it was Coleoni. :) As I said far from perfect, but amazing that if it was translating from speech to text tech (rather than manually inputted subtitles), adding an initial layer of potential error, it wasn't complete gobble-de-gook!
Last edited by SteveM on 19 Oct 2022, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.

This doesn't seem worth a thread by itself, but a nice follow-up on the technical aspects of the cards, notably the Modrone, currently at Yale University, is at https://library.yale.edu/news/cards-lib ... tarot-deck. Among other things we see:
Six faint watermarks on the backs of some Yale cards closely resemble watermarks that are documented and reproduced in two databases, supporting a recent proposal dating the cards to 1441–42.

Six faint watermarks on the backs of some Yale cards closely resemble watermarks that are documented and reproduced in two databases, supporting a recent proposal dating the cards to 1441–42.
This is indeed an interesting information. And it seems, that this was published recently, "October 4, 2023".

Disappointing is this passage ...
The library’s Visconti di Modrone deck, although having only 67 surviving cards, is unique in that it includes female Knight and female Page cards for each suit. “These additional female cards have suggested to some that this deck had perhaps been commissioned for a woman,” Lemay said. “The other two sets do not have those female court cards.” The library’s deck also contains cards representing the three theological virtues: Faith, Hope, and Charity. The original, full deck likely would have had a minimum of 89 cards.
https://library.yale.edu/news/cards-lib ... tarot-deck

Well, likely they were sleeping a long time, otherwise they would have known, that there were alternative theories around already more than 20 years. For instance the idea, that the Cary-Yale deck might have had a 5x16-structure. ... which would make 80 cards totally.
http://trionfi.com/0/c/30/
Huck
http://trionfi.com