Re: Crackpot theories

Hello,
Finally, about a year ago I did a reading for a very pretty woman who told me she was a non-denominational minister. She was interested in the tarot because of a book that was inspired/illustrated by the jodo-camoin deck and whose author made his name -or ruin it- writing about alien abductions. I don’t remember the title of the book, but I do remember that the main thesis has to do with the tarot somehow coming from outer space.
I think that the book being referred to is 'The Path' by Whitley Strieber (Walker & Collier Inc. 2002) - I have a copy. As far as I know, it can only be ordered throught Strieber's website. Strieber has written extensively on his experiences as a UFO abductee, but also has long experience within Gurdjieff/Fourth Way schools, and this is a strong influence on his views on Tarot. He does reproduce images fom the Camoin/Jodorowsky deck, and commends Camoin's theories and website, so I would assume that he supports Camoin's theories as to origins. His book actually consists of a series of reflections on a cross formation mandala that symbolises Fourth Way ideas. He believes that these ideas were around as far back as 4th Century Rome, if not in the form of a set of images. Not, at least according to the book, from aliens or UFOs.

Patrick

Patrick Booker wrote:Hello,
Finally, about a year ago I did a reading for a very pretty woman who told me she was a non-denominational minister. She was interested in the tarot because of a book that was inspired/illustrated by the jodo-camoin deck and whose author made his name -or ruin it- writing about alien abductions. I don’t remember the title of the book, but I do remember that the main thesis has to do with the tarot somehow coming from outer space.
I think that the book being referred to is 'The Path' by Whitley Strieber (Walker & Collier Inc. 2002) - I have a copy. As far as I know, it can only be ordered throught Strieber's website. Strieber has written extensively on his experiences as a UFO abductee, but also has long experience within Gurdjieff/Fourth Way schools, and this is a strong influence on his views on Tarot. He does reproduce images fom the Camoin/Jodorowsky deck, and commends Camoin's theories and website, so I would assume that he supports Camoin's theories as to origins. His book actually consists of a series of reflections on a cross formation mandala that symbolises Fourth Way ideas. He believes that these ideas were around as far back as 4th Century Rome, if not in the form of a set of images. Not, at least according to the book, from aliens or UFOs.

Patrick
Hello Patrick,

And welcome to the forum!

Yes, that’s the book she had with her. Thanks for pointing it out.

Best,

EE
What’s honeymoon salad? Lettuce alone
Don’t look now, mayonnaise is dressing!

My favorite crackpot theory is the one proposed by Daimonax. I have become convinced that this guy has put more time on his theory that I did on mine. Daimonax talks about (...)les origines orphico-dionysiaques et néopythagoriciennes du tarot de Marseille.
Nothing less.
http://www.bacchos.org/tarothtm/

I also like the one proposed by Philippe Tourasse-Camoin. According to the well-know éditeur in Marseilles, the monk Cassien in the VIIIth century adapted a deck created by Marie-Madeleine in the second century, the period where she died, presumably of old age, in Marseilles. Somehow, it makes my Benedictine theory look a bit more credible in comparison, but that's only me thinking that I suppose.
Rom
Bar Code open
Rom
Absum!

Marc O. Rainville wrote:My favorite crackpot theory is the one proposed by Daimonax. I have become convinced that this guy has put more time on his theory that I did on mine. Daimonax talks about (...)les origines orphico-dionysiaques et néopythagoriciennes du tarot de Marseille.
Nothing less.

I also like the one proposed by Philippe Tourasse-Camoin. According to the well-know éditeur in Marseilles, the monk Cassien in the VIIIth century adapted a deck created by Marie-Madeleine in the second century, the period where she died, presumably of old age, in Marseilles. Somehow, it makes my Benedictine theory look a bit more credible in comparison, but that's only me thinking that I suppose.
Rom
Bar Code open
Hello Mister Rom,

First of all I want to thanks your for your sense of Humour a real benediction from Gods that light this Forum and your Blog of course.
To precise a point of P.T.C aka Philippe K. "History", I informs you that Marie Madeleine is supposed to have died NOT in Marseille City [-x but at 40 km from here in a Baume (old Provencal term for grotto/cave).
She lived in this grotto for a 30 years period and when she died, his hair was so long that she was naked and only dressed with his hair: From head to feet yeah indeed !! :x
When she died so, she went directly out of th grotto (who is located on Sainte Baume Mountain the well named place, part of village Plan D'Aups Sainte Baume) and was elevated to Sky (Heaven ??) by two Angels O:-) .

So, we Provencals people are very pround of this performance and for sure American Gringos has nothing to say to us Bloody frenchys about their Cap Canaveral launching missiles platform =))

I wonder wich card of PTC/P K is supposed to celebrate this successful "launching" :ymparty: :ymapplause:

This critical answer is may be part of coming soon 600 pages book of "Maitre Philippe" very probably ^:)^

PS: I love Stargate serie the Real Tarot History :ymalien:

YLM B-)
Personne n'est au dessus de l'obligation de dire la vérité.
Nobody is above obligation to tell truth.

Marc O. Rainville wrote:My favorite crackpot theory is the one proposed by Daimonax. I have become convinced that this guy has put more time on his theory that I did on mine. Daimonax talks about (...)les origines orphico-dionysiaques et néopythagoriciennes du tarot de Marseille.
Nothing less.

Rom
Bar Code open
Hi Marc,
The theory by Daimonax of a Dionysus-oriented origin came to my mind the other day when I was reading a thread on Aeclectic that is discussing Greek gods as the origin of tarot.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=121931

As for Camoin, I've heard his long awaited book is finally about to be released. If it's about the Secret Mystery of Mary Magdalen then I think maybe he's a few years too late as that hype seemed to have peaked with the Di Vinci Code a few years ago. Although, I suppose we might have to fasten our seatbelts and prepare for another round of the "Divine Feminine Mysteries" hidden in the tarot. To trace it all the way back to the Magdalen herself should be a very fun read indeed! I wonder who the Popess is going to turn out to be? :ymdaydream:

I am always having visions about Tarot that are 'crackpot theories'. :D
It is kind of like discovering an ancient glue to mend the pot.

(One of my theories was this site was cancelled- hence I have not visited for yonks)

I find it boring to rehash all the time those things that are called 'facts' about Tarot.
BUT....I do not present my cracked pot as a fact- indisputable, as others like VB or Ygadrasilion.ion..ion????
MY most beloved pot that leaks badly is that the Phoenicians had a clay Tarot based on scribbled ciphers on Wadi Walls.
My most interesting pot (I think) is that Tarot Trumps/Majors describes the physical and spiritual Catholic Church in a Punning way.

There are others that make me smile.
Here is a statement from a daily meditation book based on Birthdays using playing cards....
The information on these pages is simply a glance into an exact and comprehensive body of ancient wisdom that was kept secret for many thousands of years. It was and is called the mystic science of the cards......
It then goes on to describe the correct mathematically based system hidden within only discovered or re discovered by Olny Richmond in 1893 who wrote a book called 'The Mystic Test Book.' I have never found the book 8-}
Then there is the copy artist who has used famous Artworks to illustrate Tarot. Not that they -the Artwork, illustrates Tarot, but Tarot is within the Artwork :ymsigh: ( A bit like some artwork is supposed to point to where Jesus is buried)

I am with jmd on how Tarot came about- except the Visconti which I believe a special case of one man's history made for his wife, based on something already around at the time and now lost. This may of course be a pot, but I do not think it has many if any leaks. ;;)

~Lorredan
The Universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
Eden Phillpotts

I just read an interesting article that Philippe Camoin wrote regarding the Le.Iugement & Le Monde cards. He says that card XX has to do with changes in the world's environment the blue cloud represents storms & cyclones & the flames on the card represent global warming that is now happening. He also says that the blue figure in the middle with the tonsured hair represents cyclones all of these things will be events that become very serious & will effect all of mankind. The Le Monde card represents Mary Magdalene who will come back to the earth in this 21st century to save & help mankind she will help control the 4 elements that have & will become off balance she is standing on the red ground which also has to do with wars that are destroying the world & life as well as nature. Just thought i would share this with everyone.
=)) HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! =))

:-j

I'm sorry, I only recently woke up, but this had me nearly crying with laughter. It gets my vote for being moved to the top of the list of Crackpot Theories. Is this what we have to look forward to in Camoin's new book?

I saw that this morning too, Robert. I wonder where he got it from. No link, no reference. I had a look on Camoin's site, and found this article:-
http://en.camoin.com/tarot/Camoin-Tarot ... oyage.html

I can imagine that Camoin might have slotted Mary Magdalene in somewhere with all those possible religious/mythical meanings. My guess is that it came from his magazine - perhaps available to his subscribers or in French?

I assume that his book will be in French.

Bee handled it as nicely as she could, and I probably agree with her that, with these types of suggestions coming from Camoin, it puts a lot of what he says into question, and might actually damage sales of his deck. Of course, there are a lot of people out there there DO believe that tarot holds some sort of heresy story in it, and nothing is as fadish as the Holy Blood, Holy Grail - Jesus and Mary Magdalene were lovers and parents story. It's on its third or fourth decade now isn't it? I'd have thought that Dan Brown would have put an end to it.

I disagree with Bee about Biblical characters and tarot though, there's discussions here about Jesus and the Tarot de Marseille World, and I also wonder if the Vieville doesn't show Jacob or Job on the "Lightening" card?

Is there a desire in the tarot community for the tarot to NOT be Christian based???

I had heard Camoin's book was coming out this year, any confirmations?? I wish it were in English too, I have to confess I'd be curious to read it.