Io as Isis .... The Pope with the donkey ...

Herodot

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herodotus
https://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/hh/hh1000.htm
THE HISTORY OF HERODOTUS
BOOK I

THE FIRST BOOK OF THE HISTORIES, CALLED CLIO [somehow that is Clio about Io and that's the begin of a rather long work; somehow one should note, that Herodot seems to have some sense for fun and irony]

This is the Showing forth of the Inquiry of Herodotus of Halicarnassos, to the end that neither the deeds of men may be forgotten by lapse of time, nor the works great and marvellous, which have been produced some by Hellenes and some by Barbarians, may lose their renown; and especially that the causes may be remembered for which these waged war with one another.

1. Those of the Persians who have knowledge of history declare that the Phenicians first began the quarrel. These, they say, came from that which is called the Erythraian Sea to this of ours; and having settled in the land where they continue even now to dwell, set themselves forthwith to make long voyages by sea. And conveying merchandise of Egypt and of Assyria they arrived at other places and also at Argos; now Argos was at that time in all points the first of the States within that land which is now called Hellas;--the Phenicians arrived then at this land of Argos, and began to dispose of their ship's cargo: and on the fifth or sixth day after they had arrived, when their goods had been almost all sold, there came down to the sea a great company of women, and among them the daughter of the king; and her name, as the Hellenes also agree, was Io the daughter of Inachos. These standing near to the stern of the ship were buying of the wares such as pleased them most, when of a sudden the Phenicians, passing the word from one to another, made a rush upon them; and the greater part of the women escaped by flight, but Io and certain others were carried off. So they put them on board their ship, and forthwith departed, sailing away to Egypt.
2. In this manner the Persians report that Io came to Egypt, not agreeing therein with the Hellenes, and this they say was the first beginning of wrongs. Then after this, they say, certain Hellenes (but the name of the people they are not able to report) put in to the city of Tyre in Phenicia and carried off the king's daughter Europa;--these would doubtless be Cretans;--and so they were quits for the former injury. After this however the Hellenes, they say, were the authors of the second wrong; for they sailed in to Aia of Colchis and to the river Phasis with a ship of war, and from thence, after they had done the other business for which they came, they carried off the king's daughter Medea: and the king of Colchis sent a herald to the land of Hellas and demanded satisfaction for the rape and to have his daughter back; but they answered that, as the Barbarians had given them no satisfaction for the rape of Io the Argive, so neither would they give satisfaction to the Barbarians for this.
3. In the next generation after this, they say, Alexander the son of Priam, having heard of these things, desired to get a wife for himself by violence from Hellas, being fully assured that he would not be compelled to give any satisfaction for this wrong, inasmuch as the Hellenes gave none for theirs. So he carried off Helen, and the Hellenes resolved to send messengers first and to demand her back with satisfaction for the rape; and when they put forth this demand, the others alleged to them the rape of Medea, saying that the Hellenes were now desiring satisfaction to be given to them by others, though they had given none themselves nor had surrendered the person when demand was made.
4. Up to this point, they say, nothing more happened than the carrying away of women on both sides; but after this the Hellenes were very greatly to blame; for they set the first example of war, making an expedition into Asia before the Barbarians made any into Europe. Now they say that in their judgment, though it is an act of wrong to carry away women by force, it is a folly to set one's heart on taking vengeance for their rape, and the wise course is to pay no regard when they have been carried away; for it is evident that they would never be carried away if they were not themselves willing to go. And the Persians say that they, namely the people of Asia, when their women were carried away by force, had made it a matter of no account, but the Hellenes on account of a woman of Lacedemon gathered together a great armament, and then came to Asia and destroyed the dominion of Priam; and that from this time forward they had always considered the Hellenic race to be their enemy: for Asia and the Barbarian races which dwell there the Persians claim as belonging to them; but Europe and the Hellenic race they consider to be parted off from them.
5. The Persians for their part say that things happened thus; and they conclude that the beginning of their quarrel with the Hellenes was on account of the taking of Ilion: but as regards Io the Phenicians do not agree with the Persians in telling the tale thus; for they deny that they carried her off to Egypt by violent means, and they say on the other hand that when they were in Argos she was intimate with the master of their ship, and perceiving that she was with child, she was ashamed to confess it to her parents, and therefore sailed away with the Phenicians of her own will, for fear of being found out. These are the tales told by the Persians and the Phenicians severally: and concerning these things I am not going to say that they happened thus or thus, but when I have pointed to the man who first within my own knowledge began to commit wrong against the Hellenes, I shall go forward further with the story, giving an account of the cities of men, small as well as great: for those which in old times were great have for the most part become small, while those that were in my own time great used in former times to be small: so then, since I know that human prosperity never continues steadfast, I shall make mention of both indifferently.

Ovid (Publius Ovidius Naso , 42 BC - c17 AD)

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ovid
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamorphosen_(Ovid)

Ovid: Metamorphoses, from Book 1
https://www.poetryintranslation.com/PIT ... oc64105481
Bk I:568-587 Inachus mourns for Io
There is a grove in Haemonia, closed in on every side by wooded cliffs. They call it Tempe. Through it the river Peneus rolls, with foaming waters, out of the roots of Pindus, and in its violent fall gathers clouds, driving the smoking mists along, raining down spray onto the tree tops, and deafening remoter places with its roar. Here is the house, the home, the innermost sanctuary of the great river. Seated here, in a rocky cavern, he laid down the law to the waters and the nymphs who lived in his streams. Here the rivers of his own country first met, unsure whether to console with or celebrate Daphne’s father: Spercheus among poplars, restless Enipeus, gentle Amphrysus, Aeas and ancient Apidanus; and then later all the others that, whichever way their force carries them, bring down their weary wandering waters to the sea. Only Inachus is missing, but hidden in the deepest cave he swells his stream with tears, and in utter misery laments his lost daughter, Io, not knowing if she is alive or among the shades. Since he cannot find her anywhere, he imagines her nowhere, and his heart fears worse than death.

Bk I:587-600 Jupiter’s rape of Io
Jupiter first saw her returning from her father’s stream, and said ‘Virgin, worthy of Jupiter himself, who will make some unknown man happy when you share his bed, while it is hot and the sun is at the highest point of its arc, find shade in the deep woods! (And he showed her the woods’ shade). But if you are afraid to enter the wild beasts’ lairs, you can go into the remote woods in safety, protected by a god, and not by any lesser god, but by the one who holds the sceptre of heaven in his mighty hand, and who hurls the flickering bolts of lightning. Do not fly from me!’ She was already in flight. She had left behind Lerna’s pastures, and the Lyrcean plain’s wooded fields, when the god hid the wide earth in a covering of fog, caught the fleeing girl, and raped her.

Bk I:601-621 Jupiter transforms Io to a heifer
Meanwhile Juno looked down into the heart of Argos, surprised that rapid mists had created night in shining daylight. She knew they were not vapours from the river, or breath from the damp earth. She looked around to see where her husband was, knowing by now the intrigues of a spouse so often caught in the act. When she could not find him in the skies, she said ‘Either I am wrong, or being wronged’ and gliding down from heaven’s peak, she stood on earth ordering the clouds to melt. Jupiter had a presage of his wife’s arrival and had changed Inachus’s daughter into a gleaming heifer. Even in that form she was beautiful. Saturnia approved the animal’s looks, though grudgingly, asking, then, whose she was, where from, what herd, as if she did not know. Jupiter, to stop all inquiry, lied, saying she had been born from the earth. Then Saturnia claimed her as a gift. What could he do? Cruel to sacrifice his love, but suspicious not to. Shame urges him to it, Amor urges not. Amor would have conquered Shame, but if he refused so slight a gift as a heifer to the companion of his race and bed, it might appear no heifer!

Bk I:622-641 Juno claims Io and Argus guards her
Though her rival was given up the goddess did not abandon her fears at once, cautious of Jupiter and afraid of his trickery, until she had given Io into Argus’s keeping, that son of Arestor. Argus had a hundred eyes round his head, that took their rest two at a time in succession while the others kept watch and stayed on guard. Wherever he stood he was looking at Io, and had Io in front of his eyes when his back was turned. He let her graze in the light, but when the sun sank below the earth, he penned her, and fastened a rope round her innocent neck. She grazed on the leaves of trees and bitter herbs. She often lay on the bare ground, and the poor thing drank water from muddy streams. When she wished to stretch her arms out to Argus in supplication, she had no arms to stretch. Trying to complain, a lowing came from her mouth, and she was alarmed and frightened by the sound of her own voice. When she came to Inachus’s riverbanks where she often used to play and saw her gaping mouth and her new horns in the water, she grew frightened and fled terrified of herself.

Bk I:642-667 Inachus finds Io and grieves for her
The naiads did not know her: Inachus himself did not know her, but she followed her father, followed her sisters, allowing herself to be petted, and offering herself to be admired. Old Inachus pulled some grasses and held them out to her: she licked her father’s hand and kissed his palm, could not hold back her tears, and if only words could have come she would have begged for help, telling her name and her distress. With letters drawn in the dust with her hoof, instead of words, she traced the sad story of her changed form. ‘Pity me!’ said her father Inachus, clinging to the groaning heifer’s horns and snow-white neck, ‘Pity me!’ he sighed; ‘Are you really my daughter I searched the wide world for? There was less sadness with you lost than found! Without speech, you do not answer in words to mine, only heave deep sighs from your breast, and all you can do is low in reply to me. Unknowingly I was arranging marriage and a marriage-bed for you, hoping for a son-in-law first and then grandchildren. Now you must find a mate from the herd, and from the herd get you a son. I am not allowed by dying to end such sorrow; it is hard to be a god, the door of death closed to me, my grief goes on immortal for ever.’ As he mourned, Argus with his star-like eyes drove her to distant pastures, dragging her out of her father’s arms. There, sitting at a distance he occupied a high peak of the mountain, where resting he could keep a watch on every side.

Bk I:668-688 Jupiter sends Mercury to kill Argus
Now the king of the gods can no longer stand Phoronis’s great sufferings, and he calls his son, born of the shining Pleiad, and orders him to kill Argus. Mercury, quickly puts on his winged sandals, takes his sleep-inducing wand in his divine hand, and sets his cap on his head. Dressed like this the son of Jupiter touches down on the earth from his father’s stronghold. There, he takes off his cap, and doffs his wings, only keeping his wand. Taking this, disguised as a shepherd, he drives she-goats, stolen on the way, through solitary lanes, and plays his reed pipe as he goes. Juno’s guard is captivated by this new sound. ‘You there, whoever you are’ Argus calls ‘you could sit here beside me on this rock; there’s no better grass elsewhere for your flock, and you can see that the shade is fine for shepherds.’
The descendant of Atlas sits down, and passes the day in conversation, talking of many things, and playing on his reed pipe, trying to conquer those watching eyes. Argus however fights to overcome gentle sleep, and though he allows some of his eyes to close, the rest stay vigilant. He even asks, since the reed pipe has only just been invented, how it was invented.

Bk I:689-721 Mercury tells the story of Syrinx
So the god explained ‘On Arcadia’s cold mountain slopes among the wood nymphs, the hamadryads, of Mount Nonacris, one was the most celebrated: the nymphs called her Syrinx. She had often escaped from the satyrs chasing her, and from others of the demi-gods that live in shadowy woods and fertile fields. But she followed the worship of the Ortygian goddess in staying virgin. Her dress caught up like Diana she deceives the eye, and could be mistaken for Leto’s daughter, except that her bow is of horn, and the other’s is of gold. Even so she is deceptive. Pan, whose head is crowned with a wreath of sharp pine shoots, saw her, coming from Mount Lycaeus, and spoke to her.’ Now Mercury still had to relate what Pan said, and how the nymph, despising his entreaties, ran through the wilds till she came to the calm waters of sandy Ladon; and how when the river stopped her flight she begged her sisters of the stream to change her; and how Pan, when he thought he now had Syrinx, found that instead of the nymph’s body he only held reeds from the marsh; and, while he sighed there, the wind in the reeds, moving, gave out a clear, plaintive sound. Charmed by this new art and its sweet tones the god said ‘This way of communing with you is still left to me.’ So unequal lengths of reed, joined together with wax, preserved the girl’s name.
About to tell all this, Cyllenian Mercury saw that every eye had succumbed and their light was lost in sleep. Quickly he stops speaking and deepens their rest, caressing those drowsy eyes with touches of his magic wand. Then straightaway he strikes the nodding head, where it joins the neck, with his curved sword, and sends it bloody down the rocks, staining the steep cliff. Argus, you are overthrown, the light of your many eyes is extinguished, and one dark sleeps under so many eyelids.

Bk I:722-746 Io is returned to human form
Saturnia took his eyes and set them into the feathers of her own bird, and filled the tail with star-like jewels. Immediately she blazed with anger, and did not hold back from its consequences. She set a terrifying Fury in front of the eyes and mind of that ‘slut’ from the Argolis, buried a tormenting restlessness in her breast, and drove her as a fugitive through the world. You, Nile, put an end to her immeasurable suffering. When she reached you, she fell forward onto her knees on the riverbank and turning back her long neck with her face upwards, in the only way she could, looked to the sky, and with groans and tears and sad lowing seemed to reproach Jupiter and beg him to end her troubles. Jupiter threw his arms round his wife’s neck and pleaded for an end to vengeance, saying ‘Do not fear, in future she will never be a source of pain’ and he called the Stygian waters to witness his words.
As the goddess grows calmer, Io regains her previous appearance, and becomes what she once was. The rough hair leaves her body, the horns disappear, the great eyes grow smaller, the gaping mouth shrinks, the shoulders and hands return, and the hooves vanish, each hoof changing back into five nails. Nothing of the heifer is left except her whiteness. Able to stand on two feet she raises herself erect and fearing to speak in case she lows like a heifer, timidly attempts long neglected words.

Bk I:747-764 Phaethon’s parentage
Now she is worshipped as a greatly honoured goddess by crowds of linen clad acolytes. In due time she bore a son, Epaphus, who shared the cities’ temples with his mother, and was believed to have been conceived from mighty Jupiter’s seed. He had a friend, Phaethon, child of the Sun, equal to him in spirit and years, who once boasted proudly that Phoebus was his father, and refused to concede the claim, which Inachus’s grandson could not accept. ‘You are mad to believe all your mother says, and you have an inflated image of your father.’ Phaethon reddened but, from shame, repressed his anger, and went to his mother Clymene with Inachus’s reproof. ‘To sadden you more, mother, I the free, proud, spirit was silent! I am ashamed that such a reproach can be spoken and not answered. But if I am born at all of divine stock, give me some proof of my high birth, and let me claim my divinity!’ So saying he flung his arms round his mother’s neck, entreating her, by his own and her husband Merops’s life, and by his sisters’ marriages, to reveal to him some true sign of his parentage.

Bk I:765-779 Phaethon sets out for the Palace of the Sun
Clymene, moved perhaps by Phaethon’s entreaties or more by anger at the words spoken, stretched both arms out to the sky and looking up at the sun’s glow said ‘By that brightness marked out by glittering rays, that sees us and hears us, I swear to you, my son, that you are the child of the Sun; of that being you see; you are the child of he who governs the world; if I lie, may he himself decline to look on me again, and may this be the last light to reach our eyes! It is no great effort for you yourself to find your father’s house. The place he rises from is near our land. If you have it in mind to do so, go and ask the sun himself!’ Immediately Phaethon, delighted at his mother’s words, imagining the heavens in his mind, darts off and crosses Ethiopia his people’s land, then India, land of those bathed in radiant fire, and with energy reaches the East.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inachus
... has very interesting stories
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argos,_Peloponnese
... is the place of Inachos
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phaethon
... as the son of Helios (according Hesiod)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phaethon_of_Syria
... as the son of Kephalos and Eos
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eridanos_(river_of_Hades)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eridanus_(constellation)
... the river, in which Phaethon disappeared
... Eridanus is close to Lepus (the Osterhase) and Osiris-Orion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epaphus
... son of Io-Isis, so somehow "Horus"

Ovid: Metamorphoses, from Book 2
https://www.poetryintranslation.com/PIT ... oc64106122
Bk II:508-530 Juno complains to Tethys and Oceanus
Juno was angered when she saw his inamorato shining among the stars, and went down into the waters to white-haired Tethys and old Oceanus to whom the gods often make reverence. When they asked her the reason for her visit she began ‘You ask me why I, the queen of the gods, have left my home in the heavens to be here? Another has taken my place in the sky! I tell a lie, if you do not see, when night falls and the world darkens, newly exalted stars to wound me, set in the sky, where the remotest and shortest orbit circles the uttermost pole. Why should anyone wish to avoid wounding Juno or dread my enmity if I only benefit those I harm? Oh what a great achievement! Oh what marvellous powers I have! I stopped her being human and she becomes a goddess! This is the punishment I inflict on the guilty! This is my wonderful sovereignty! Let him take away her animal form and restore her former beauty as he did before with that Argive girl, Io. Why not divorce Juno, install her in my place, and let Lycaon be his father-in-law? If this contemptible insult to your foster-child moves you, shut out the seven stars of the Bear from your dark blue waters, repulse this constellation set in the heavens as a reward for her defilement, and do not let my rival dip in your pure flood!’
Ovid: Metamorphoses, from Book 9
https://www.poetryintranslation.com/PIT ... oc64106567
Bk IX:666-713 The birth of Iphis
Perhaps, the story of this new marvel would have filled Crete’s hundred cities, if Crete had not recently known a miracle nearer home, in the metamorphosis of Iphis. In the Phaestos region, near royal Cnossos, there once lived a man named Ligdus, undistinguished, a native of the place, his wealth no greater than his fame, but living a blameless and honourable life. When his pregnant wife, Telethusa, was near to her time, he spoke these words of warning in her ear: ‘There are two things I wish for: that you are delivered with the least pain, and that you produce a male child. A girl is a heavier burden, and misfortune denies them strength. So, though I hate this, if, by chance, you give birth to a female infant, reluctantly, I order - let my impiety be forgiven! – that it be put to death.’ He spoke, and tears flooded their cheeks, he who commanded, and she to whom the command was given. Nevertheless, Telethusa, urged her husband, with vain prayers, not to confine hope itself. Ligdus remained fixed in his determination.
Now, her pregnant belly could scarcely bear to carry her fully-grown burden, when Io, the daughter of Inachus, at midnight, in sleep’s imagining, stood, or seemed to stand, by her bed: Isis, accompanied by her holy procession. The moon’s crescent horns were on her forehead, and the shining gold of yellow ears of corn, and royal splendour belonged to her. With her were the jackal-headed Anubis, the hallowed cat-headed Bast, the dappled bull Apis, and Harpocrates, the god who holds his tongue, and urges silence, thumb in mouth. The sacred rattle, the sistrum, was there; and Osiris, for whom her search never ends; and the strange serpent she fashioned, swollen with sleep-inducing venom, that poisoned the sun-god Ra. Then, as if Telethusa had shaken off sleep, and was seeing clearly, the goddess spoke to her, saying: ‘O, you who belong to me, forget your heavy cares, and do not obey your husband. When Lucina has eased the birth, whatever sex the child has, do not hesitate to raise it. I am the goddess, who, when prevailed upon, brings help and strength: you will have no cause to complain, that the divinity, you worshipped, lacks gratitude.’ Having given her command, she left the room. Joyfully, the Cretan woman rose, and, lifting her innocent hands to the stars, she prayed, in all humility, that her dream might prove true.
When the pains grew, and her burden pushed its own way into the world, and a girl was born, the mother ordered it to be reared, deceitfully, as a boy, without the father realising. She had all that she needed, and no one but the nurse knew of the fraud. The father made good his vows, and gave it the name of the grandfather: he was Iphis. The mother was delighted with the name, since it was appropriate for either gender, and no one was cheated by it. From that moment, the deception, begun with a sacred lie, went undetected. The child was dressed as a boy, and its features would have been beautiful whether they were given to a girl or a boy.

Isis Locations

Egypt, Philae
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philae_temple_complex
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempel_von_Philae

Egypt, Behbeit El Hagar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behbeit_El_Hagar

Egypt, Menouthis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menouthis

Egypt, Antirhodos
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antirhodos

Lybia, Sabratha
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabratha
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabrata
https://vici.org/vici/18054/?lang=de

Turkey, Antiochia
https://isiopolis.com/2022/03/20/the-my ... antioch-2/

Greece, Delos
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delos

France
https://isiopolis.com/2019/04/20/isis-t ... onnection/

Italy, Rome
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of ... nd_Serapis
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempel_de ... apis_(Rom)

Italy, Pompeii
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Isis_(Pompeii)
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isis-Tempel_(Pompeji)

Italy, Taormina
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pankratius_von_Taormina

London / England
https://www.heritagedaily.com/2016/04/d ... sis/110561
https://rhakotis.com/2019/07/02/isis-in-roman-britain/

Hungary, Szombathely (Steinemanger, Savaria)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szombathely
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Szombathely
https://bglv1.orf.at/stories/532391
https://www.heritagedaily.com/2022/05/t ... nse/143503

Austria, Maria Saal, Virunum, Isis-Noreia
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virunum
https://www.google.com/maps/@46.6813459 ... 704!8i4352
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noreia_(Göttin)

Germany, Baden / Wettingen
https://blog.nationalmuseum.ch/2022/07/ ... ilquellen/
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Sebastian_(Wettingen)
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquae_Helveticae
http://lupa.at/10259
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Wetting ... .47288!3e2

Germany, Krefeld-Gellep
https://www.krefeld.de/de/inhalt/krefel ... rstellung/

Mainz
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary ... ter,_Mainz
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heiligtum ... na_(Mainz)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdasrnLs-sM

Köln, St. Gereon and St. Ursula
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Gereon_(Köln) (with a note about Isis)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Gereo ... a,_Cologne (the article has no note about Isis)
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Ursula_(Köln) ... has no note about Isis
https://www.frauengeschichtsverein.de/2 ... nd-ursula/ ... claims, that St. Urula was build on an earlier Isis temple
"Weitere Zentren des Kultes lagen in Köln, wo sieben Weiheinschriften gefunden wurden ... " ?
https://incipesapereaude.wordpress.com/ ... welt-isis/

Germany. Herzogenrath near Aachen
http://lupa.at/27283

Germany, Augsburg
https://incipesapereaude.wordpress.com/tag/isis-tempel/
Weitere Hinweise auf kultische Handlungen sind auf archäologischen Funden zu finden, wie z.B. einem tönernen Gefäßdeckel aus Westheim bei Augsburg. Auch in Tonmedaillons aus dem 3. Jahrhundert, die möglicherweise aus einer Isis-Wallfahrtsstätte stammten und dort als Devotionalien erhältlich waren, sind Praktiken aus dem Isiskult zu erkennen. Wiederkehrende Motive zeigen hier Isis und Serapis bei einem Kultmahl, begleitet von Anubis und dem als Kind dargestellten Harpokrates mit Füllhorn.
Immer wieder taucht auch in archäologischen Funden das Symbol der Cista mystica auf, zum Beispiel auf Tongeschirr aus Köln, wie es bereits von Apuleius beschrieben wurde.
https://sempub.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/ria ... t/HD001306

Germany, Trier (Trier-Tawern)
https://rlp.museum-digital.de/object/5755

Schlagwort-Archive: Isis-Tempel
https://incipesapereaude.wordpress.com/tag/isis-tempel/
automatic translation: https://incipesapereaude-wordpress-com. ... r_pto=wapp

Tacitus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/"Isis"_of_the_Suebi

Joachim Friedrich Quack - Bjorn Paarmann
Sarapis: ein Gott zwischen griechischer und ägyptischer Religion
http://archiv.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/prop ... s_2013.pdf

Der Serapiskult bei Tacitus. Eine Quelleninterpretation. ... by anonym
https://m.hausarbeiten.de/document/513977

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serapis

Trickster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trickster
Many cultures have tales of the trickster, a crafty being who uses tricks to get food, steal precious possessions, or simply cause mischief. In some Greek myths Hermes plays the trickster. He is the patron of thieves and the inventor of lying, a gift he passed on to Autolycus, who in turn passed it on to Odysseus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br%27er_Rabbit
In a wide variety of African-Americans communities, the rabbit, or hare, is the trickster (see Brer Rabbit). In West Africa (and thence into the Caribbean via the slave trade),
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Till_Eulenspiegel
Till Eulenspiegel was baptized 3 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermes_Trismegistus[quote]
"Hermes the Thrice-Greatest", a mix between Greek Hermes and Egyptian Thot[/quote]
Huck
http://trionfi.com

Material to the Hare .... The Pope with the donkey

https://curiositas-mittelalter.blogspot ... iften.html

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unut
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unut

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_ägyptischer_Götter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Egyptian_deities
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermopolis_Magna
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermopolis

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gau_(Ägypten)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nome_(Egypt)

http://www.aegyptologie.com/forum/cgi-b ... &start=1#1

https://www.aegypten-geschichte-kultur.de/hase

Ostereier 1601
https://www.elmar-lorey.de/rheingau/Ostereier.htm
Last edited by Huck on 21 May 2023, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.
Huck

Visconti and Wittelsbacher .... Pope with the donkey

There is a large map, which shows the territories of the reigning dynasties in the German Empire 1272 - 1437: Habsburg, Luxembourg and Wittelsbach.

Large map:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wittelsba ... R_14Jh.jpg

List of German Kings and Emperors between 1273 and 1437
-------------
Rudolf I. von Habsburg 1273 - 1291 Habsburg
Adolf von Nassau 1292 - 1298
Albrecht I. von Habsburg 1298 - 1308 Habsburg
Heinrich VII. 1308 - 1313 Luxembourg
Ludwig IV der Bayer 1314 - 1347 Wittelsbach ..... Grandson of Rudolf I; rival king to Frederick the Fair,
Friedrich III der Schöne 1314 –1322 Habsburg .... Son of Albrecht I; associate king with Ludwig IV, 1325–1330
Karl IV. 1346 - 1378 Luxembourg .... Grandson of Henry VII; rival king to Ludwig IV, 1346–1347;
Günther von Schwarzburg ... 1349 Rival king to Karl IV
Wenzel von Luxembourg 1376 - 1400 .... Son of Karl IV; king of Germany under his father 1376–1378; deposed 1400;
Ruprecht von der Pfalz Wittelsbach 1400 - 1410... Great-grandnephew of Ludwig IV
Jobst von Mähren Luxembourg 1410 - 1411 .... Nephew of Charles IV; rival king to Sigismund
Sigismund von Luxembourg 1410 - 1437 .... Son of Karl IV
------------
1437 - 1804 Kings and Emperors of the Habsburg dynastie

https://www.wga.hu/art/a/andrea/firenze ... /2east.jpg
https://www.wga.hu/art/a/andrea/firenze ... east13.jpg

https://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/ ... index.html

Beatrice della Scala und ihr Ehemann Bernabò Visconti sind die Eltern von Marco Visconti, dem späteren Gemahl der Elisabeth von Bayern-Landshut, Ausschnitt eines Freskos von Andrea di Bonaiuto aus der Cappella Spagnuolo, Santa Maria Novella, Florenz
translated:
Beatrice della Scala and her husband Bernabò Visconti are the parents of Marco Visconti, who later became the husband of Elisabeth of Bavaria-Landshut, detail of a fresco by Andrea di Bonaiuto from the Cappella Spagnuolo, Santa Maria Novella, Florence
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Vis ... sconti.jpg

Bernabo Visconti (brother of Galeazzo Visconti) (1323-1385)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernabò_Visconti
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernabò_Visconti

Beatrice Regina della Scala, wife of Bernabo (c1331 - 1384)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrice_ ... ella_Scala
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrice_della_Scala

They married in 1350 .....

Taddea Visconti, oldest daughter of Bernarbo and Beatrice (between many sisters)
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taddea_Visconti
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taddea_Visconti

Stephan III .... (c1337 - 1413) .... married Taddea Visconti .... (1351/52 - 1381) ... had a life with much Italian relatiuons
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephan_III._(Bayern)
automatic translation .... https://de-m-wikipedia-org.translate.go ... r_pto=wapp
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_I ... of_Bavaria

They got 2 children ...

Eilisabeth von Bayern = Isabeau of Bavaria (c 1370 - 1435) .... married the French king Charles VI
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabeau_of_Bavaria
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabeau
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabeau_de_Bavière

Ludwig VII. der Bärtige , duke of Bavaria-Ingoldstadt (1368 - 1447)
( ... possibly involved in the production of the lot book with the Pope and the Donkey

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_VII._(Bayern)
automatic translation: https://de-m-wikipedia-org.translate.go ... r_pto=wapp
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_VII ... of_Bavaria
Ludwig VII. der Bärtige was presented at .... viewtopic.php?p=25748#p25748
Huck

Description Losbuch Trier .... Pope with donkey

https://handschriftencensus.de/8701

Losbuch Trier with 22 elements
http://bilder.manuscripta-mediaevalia.d ... 98_jpg.htm
Katalog Trier 1121/1325

Earlier noted:
https://books.google.de/books?id=-itYVP ... &q&f=false
... appeared in the discussion at ... viewtopic.php?f=11&t=663&p=9888&hilit=trier#p9888

New description, by Franziska Stephan:
https://kdih.badw.de/datenbank/handschrift/80/7/3
Franziska Stephan: Losbücher. Losbuch mit 22 Fragen. Handschrift Nr. 80.7.3. In: Katalog der deutschsprachigen illustrierten Handschriften des Mittelalters (KdiH). Begonnen von Hella Frühmorgen-Voss und Norbert H. Ott. Hrsg. von Kristina Freienhagen-Baumgardt, Pia Rudolph und Nicola Zotz. Band 8. München 2019. http://kdih.badw.de/datenbank/handschrift/80/7/3; zuletzt geändert am 02.09.2019.
Prophets

There are variants to the other texts in the description.

One relates to the 22 animals:
4v–5r 22 Tiere und Tierkreiszeichen: Tabellen mit vier mal fünf und vier mal sechs Kästchen, darin systematische Text-Bild-Kombinationen mit Verweisen. Die Illustrationen befinden sich jeweils in der ersten und dritten Spalte. Einige Tiere stehen auf einfachen, nur durch eine gebogene Linie angedeuteten Bodenstücken, diese deuten vereinzelt Vegetation an. Die Reihe besteht aus verschiedenen Vögeln, heimischen und exotischen Tieren sowie den zwölf Tierkreiszeichen im Stil von Kalenderillustrationen (mit Einhorn anstelle des Steinbocks): 4va Waage, Widder, Ochse, Krebs, Löwe, Jungfrau; 4vb Fische, Wassermann, Zwilling, Schütze, Skorpion, Einhorn; 5ra Kranich, Adler, Rabe, Nachtigall, Kamel; 5rb Sittich, Hirsch, Hund, Hase, Esel.
Only one animal was changed in the row, that is the Rabe, who disturbs the zodiac.

Waage, .... identical
Widder, .... identical
Ochse, .... identical
Krebs, .... identical
Löwe, .... identical
.... missing Rabe
Jungfrau, .... identical
Fische, .... identical
Wassermann, .... identical
Zwilling, .... identical
Schütze, .... identical
Skorpion, .... identical