Re: Clouds above the Lovers

jmd wrote:I personally do not think the Vieville shows two masculine disciples, but rather that the image is consistent with that of a wedding, in this case the 'celebrant' likely depicted on the right of the card, the groom in the centre (his tights show him to be masculine), and the bride on the left (her dress indicates this).

This does not prevent us seeing into the image some other interpretative possibilities - including that of discipleship, but frankly do not see this as likely intent.
I was just studying the Vieville Lovers card for a similar discussion elsewhere on the web, and came to the same conclusion that JMD suggests. To me, it looks like a male figure officiating, and a man and woman in a ceremony, I assume marriage.

Hello JMD and Robert ...
(I return to "work" as boh can see...)

-Both are right.They are female and male.I didn t see carefully. :oops:
I want to drive the meaning of the card to another side if both don t mind...

-I been thinking about this card as a depict of an attempt of adultery.
We have the young man pointing toward the women and the (for me ) Master advising to him to not choose that way.
Just my imagination ?
Well as you both surely know Cupid with also related to adultery as a genuine son of Jupiter.and just see for sustain it The Golden Ass story //http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cupid_and_Psyche
BTW just as relation between Cupid and the card scene,so not suggesting that the woman could be Psyche

Eugim
The Universe is like a Mamushka.

EUGIM wrote:Hello JMD and Robert ...
(I return to "work" as boh can see...)

-Both are right.They are female and male.I didn t see carefully. :oops:
I want to drive the meaning of the card to another side if both don t mind...

-I been thinking about this card as a depict of an attempt of adultery.
We have the young man pointing toward the women and the (for me ) Master advising to him to not choose that way.
Just my imagination ?
Well as you both surely know Cupid with also related to adultery as a genuine son of Jupiter.and just see for sustain it The Golden Ass story //http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cupid_and_Psyche
BTW just as relation between Cupid and the card scene,so not suggesting that the woman could be Psyche

Eugim
But why go to the trouble? We know that the card was called simply "Love" in the early references. Early versions seem to suggest a wedding or courtship. If it is a pair of lovers and someone officiating at a ceremony, that fits in with the early meanings, and makes graphic sense as well.

Of course, "adultry" tends to be somewhat common with modern interpretation of the Tarot de Marseille Lovers, which is often referred to as a "choice". Sometimes between virtue and vice, but I've certainly seen people interpret it as infidelity.

I'm always attracted to early meanings, and love suits me fine, but I'm a romantic. :)

Robert,I m agree with you that the earlier image depict a wedding but more on the italian decks I think.
We both know that frenchmen reworked all the iconnography of many cards so we now call since then it the Tarot de Marseilles.
Marseilles pattern is different and Cupid it s still there blindfolded or not,and we can t deny the adultry "induction" he should make with his arrow...
These is one of his many attributes as history remember him.
The old man seems to me he is advicing the young not fall in a fault.But just for me...

Eugim
The Universe is like a Mamushka.