Re: "The 5x14 Theory: An Investigation" part II

Ross G. R. Caldwell wrote:
See for instance this page -
http://www.answers.com/topic/holy-roman-emperor-2
for technicalities. Scroll to the bottom to see the list of coronations - Sigismund was the first Emperor to be crowned by a Pope for over 200 years! (after Frederick II in 1220).
Simple list error? Or was the pope not present, or what do they complain?

Wikipedia entries:

For Charles IV:
"On 11 July 1346 Prince-electors had elected him King of the Romans (rex Romanorum) in opposition to Emperor Louis IV. Charles was crowned on 26 November 1346 in Bonn. After his opponent had died, he was re-elected in 1349 (17 June) and crowned (25 July) King of the Romans. In 1355 he was also crowned King of Italy on 6 January and Holy Roman Emperor on 5 April. With his coronation as King of Burgundy, delayed until 4 June 1365, he became the personal ruler of all the kingdoms of the Holy Roman Empire."

For Henry VII of Luxembourg (grandfather of Charles IV):
"Born in Valenciennes, he was a son of Count Henry VI of Luxembourg and Béatrice from the House of Avesnes. His son, John the Blind, was elected as King of Bohemia in 1310. On 15 August 1309, Henry VII announced his intention to travel to Rome and expected his troops to be ready to travel by 1 October 1310. He then traveled to Rome to be crowned as emperor, the title having been vacant since the death of Frederick II. His coronation was on June 29, 1312."
Huck
http://trionfi.com

Huck wrote: Or was the pope not present, or what do they complain?
That's right, both were crowned by cardinals, not by the Pope.

From the list you can see that after Frederick II, only two "traditional" coronations occurred - Sigismund and Frederick III. Charles V was crowned in Bologna, and after that, it looks like none of them were crowned at all, either in Rome or by the Pope (Charles VII (1697-1745) seems to have simply taken the title "Holy Roman Emperor" with a coronation (where?) in 1742).

Before commenting further on the Zavattari brothers, I want to report on an investigation I did while in the transition to this forum.

First some background. Earlier in the discussion with Huck, I interpreted the Fame/World card as being of Perceval about to enter the Grail Castle the second time. The Fisher King is on the other bank, and the castle itself set it off from the others as special. At the same time, Niccolo Piccinnino, Tionfi's hapless condotiere, is in the boat being ferried the other way. That way Perceval can also be Francesco Sforza to the rescue. That would make Filippo a latter-day King Arthur. Renaissance patrons were fond of putting themselves into paintings as famous figures; usually it was as saints. (And yes, I addressed the issue of the trumpet in the upper part of the card.)

In support of this interpretation I mentioned Filippo's fondness for French romances (Rabil, "Humanism in Milan," in Renaissance Humanism Vol 1, p. 243). It also fits Bembo's 1446 illustrations of "Lancelot of the Lake" (Kaplan Vol. 2, pp. 123-128). I reproduced some of the illustrations. I also mentioned Pisanello's Arthurian knights fresco cycle in Mantua as a possible antecedent to the Fame/World card. But I hadn't actually looked at the frescoes themselves.

In my Google Images search for the Pisanello's frescoes, I noticed a photo on an Englishwoman's 2007 blog, followed by her comment:

"Found accidentally in an old bookshop recently, do you think this is one
of the earlier "altered books" around? These are sketches - very amateur
but nevertheless enthusiastic and observant, made in 1935 at an
exhibition in Paris. They are vignettes, with notes, of Tarot Cards,
designed by Pisanello for the Viscount of Milan in 1428, and stuck into
a standard art book on Pisanello (with a very nice marbled cover, though -
which is why I picked up the book in the first place)."
(http://rozcawley.typepad.com/autumn_cot ... ist/books/)

The sketches above are not bad representations of the CY Male Page of Cups and Female Page of Batons. Added Dec. 28, 2020: the above link is now somewhat out of date, although still usable, if you go to the comment by Ross Caldwell. A more specific one is https://rozcawley.typepad.com/autumn_co ... 3064a9200d

The data about 1935, 1428, and Pisanello as the artist, are in English on the page. She ends the note with another sketch, of someone I don't recognize:

Who is he? He resembles the von Bartsch King of Cups (below left, Kaplan Vol. 1 p. 101) or, less so, Page of Cups (below right, Kaplan Vol. 1 p. 102), but with enough difference to be puzzling.

Our 1935 watercolor artist might be improvising a bit, but from what? There is less similarity to the PMB of the same cards (Page below left, King below center), but not at all to the CY King of Cups (below right). We have already seen the CY Page of Cups; it faces the wrong way and is standing. A CY Male Page of Coins might have faced left, like the von Bartsch Page of Cups, but it is not among the Beinecke's cards and would have been standing. So it remains unclear whether the deck on exhibit was the CY, the CY plus the von Bartsch, or some hitherto unknown cards.

In any case, in 1935 somebody must have thought that the deck was painted by Pisanello for Visconti's wedding. If it was the CY, perhaps Cary was exhibiting it in Paris before he packed it off to America. Or maybe Cary bought the cards at this exhibition I sent an email to the Beinecke Library to see if they knew anything. I haven't heard back yet.

Meanwhile, I did find a few images on the Web of the Pisanello fresco cycle in Mantua (c. 1433-1437). There aren't a lot. A book I checked out at my local library, The Art of Mantua, by Furlotti and Rebecchini (translated from Italian), has more. But here is a sample from the Web.

All these frescoes were for some reason unfinished. Compared to Bembo, they are not much like the CY. Notice the little dog at the bottom. Kaplan counts as a point in favor of Bembo being the CY artist that Bembo in "Lancelot" puts a little dog at the bottom, and so does the CY Love card. Many artists put little dogs in the bottom of their scenes, including the Zavattaris at Monza. This is not to detract from Kaplan’s other points of comparison between Bembo and the CY; but if possible we should make sure that they distinguish Bembo, or any other candidate, from a host of other artists.

I explored Google Images further. Besides more dogs, I soon was seeing birds and other animals:

The above work, "Vision of St. Eustace," is egg tempera on wood, 54.8 cm by 65.5 cm, done c. 1438-1442. (http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/paint ... /key-facts). In comparison, the CY cards are 19 cm. by 9 cm (Beinecke Library). So the figures on the two are of comparable size. Pisanello is certainIy a master of the tempura medium and the art of the miniature. The look is quite different either the artists are different, or Pisanello has a couple of different styles.

In works on paper, Pisanello's technique is also quite different from that of the CY. Look, for example, at "Three studies of a Male Titmouse," (http://www.iatwm.com/200901/LouvreMaste ... index.html).

Here he was doing watercolor, not tempera.

He even knew how to do lions. See http://www.nga.gov/press/2007/syscat.shtm, or this one at http://idlespeculations-terryprest.blog ... edals.html. It is the Marriage Medallion for Lionello d'Este.

Medallions were a specialty of his. Another, besides the one above, is of our favorite soldier of fortune, titled by the National Gallery of Australia, "Niccolo Piccinnino, condotiere," with the date "c. 1440-1441" (http://nga.gov.au/International/Catalog ... ?IRN=54569; it is also at http://www.frammentiarte.it/dal%20Gotic ... daglie.htm.

The reverse has a magnificent griffin suckling 2 infants, but I couldn't find a web image of low enough resolution to fit here. (Whatever magic coaxed the high-resolution eagle onto this thread didn't work for me.)

This medallion is similar to the one Pisanello did of Filippo, which Huck reproduced earlier in the discussion. I can't help wondering if they were done as a pair. According to the British Museum (http://www.artfund.org/artwork/4693/por ... e-of-milan) it was done in 1441. Not surprisingly, Pisanello was in Milan 1441-1441, according to Wikipedia--oddly also the date that Trionfi fixes as that of the composition of the CY.

I can't remember if Pisanello's c. 1450-1455 fresco of people playing cards is well known or not. It is at http://www.larsdatter.com/games-card.htm. It is certainly expressive. There is also his famous portrait of the Emperor:

Before seeing his work, I wasn't aware of what a mixed bag that period was. Some of Pisanello's work is straight International Gothic and some is the new "humanist" style. In general the CY fits into the International Gothic mold. Another thing I hadn't realized was the high level of skill and creativity such people had; the relative monotony of the CY, not to mention the crudeness of its lion, makes me think that the artist, whoever he was, was just starting out, learning how to do tempera, and maybe following the orders of someone above him, in other words a talented apprentice.
Last edited by mikeh on 28 Dec 2020, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.

hi Mike,
"Found accidentally in an old bookshop recently, do you think this is one
of the earlier "altered books" around? These are sketches - very amateur
but nevertheless enthusiastic and observant, made in 1935 at an
exhibition in Paris. They are vignettes, with notes, of Tarot Cards,
designed by Pisanello for the Viscount of Milan in 1428, and stuck into
a standard art book on Pisanello (with a very nice marbled cover, though -
which is why I picked up the book in the first place)."
(http://rozcawley.typepad.com/autumn_cot ... ist/books/)
The pictures are from 1935, as you say it ... and perhaps somebody discussed the Cary-Yale as of Pisanello ... a perception, which haven't made it towards the modern perception, as far I know.

Also it hasn't been accepted, as it seems, that the Borromeo fresco is "of Pisanello", as far I know. For instance also Michelino da Besozzo is occasionally (or usually ?) "the painter".

Let's assume, we would have a painter for sure ... would we have than much more information? Well ... Pisanello was around in some critical times.

******** a look on Pisanello

1424 Pisanello is said to have made frescoes in Pavia (there are contradictions, others assume his presence in Verona). Around the same time Michelino da Besozzo might have had the commission for the Michelino deck. It's somehow sure, that it was Michelino, nobody else.

Michelino was probably in Milan (?), Pisanello in Pavia ... that's not too far, but there is a distance. But artists should have had ways, to meet each other. Possibly Pisanello can observe, how the cards were made.

Pisanello was 1441 in Ferrara. He is said to have been in 1440-14441 also in Milan. Milan/Ferrara were in this period politically close to each other. Pisanello was seen as a traitor in this situation from the Venetian side.

We have in Ferrara an artist of not too much importance (Sagramoro) make the playing cards, an allround artist with mostly "heraldic commissions". The prizes are in comparition moderate - in 1442.

We have one very extravagant period, in which the prizes are much higher. The dates are 1423 (Gabella deck in Ferrara) and ca. 1425 (Michelino deck). Although Gabella is a riddle, it's obvious, that Michelino is a top artist.

The exorbitant difference of the prizes (even in the Gabella-case the relation is about 1/20, in the Michelino case it's nearly unbelievable) signal, that a novelty of production methode should have arrived ca. 1423 Italy and made it possible, that somebody was willing to pay this. In 1441 and some time before and later the prizes have normalized.

There is one comparable production, about which we have prizes (we don't have much prize observation possibilities). This happened in Brabant 1379 - 1383 at the court of Wencelas, brother of emperor Charles IV. The prizes fall in the observable phase to 1/8 of that, what was paid before. From the surrounding conditions (for instance Johannes of Rheinfelden), we've reason to assume, that playing cards started to spread in larger contingents 1377. So in 1379 the court of Brabant was clearly in the "novelty" phase - which passed very quickly.

Similar prize behaviour we have in other businesses, too, for instance in our modern computer development. Objects, which were paid in their novelty with 10.000 Dollars, could fall to 100 Dollar and less objects in a few years, becoming totally worthless in some years more.

... about Pisanello ...

http://www.archive.org/stream/pisanello ... l_djvu.txt

Type after ctrl-F "Mantua and Milan" and you'll find the relevant chapter.

I think, Pisanello was too highpaid in this phase - playing card production would have been a waste of time to him. btw. the author gives the later destroyed Pavia-frescoes to later than 1441, not to 1423-24.

btw. the author says, that there is bird on the clothes of Visconti at the Pisanello medal. But the resolution is not high enough to be sure ... probably at the shoulder, seems to be a frontal bird.

Generally I found to this phoenix idea:

The Phoenix suits reigns above Juno, Neptun, Mars, Ailous (as indication of fame) ... and it means "Riches (according Martiano)

How does a regent get "Riches"?

1. Juno (by marriage - proven very well by Austria)
2. Neptun (with ships - exploring foreign countries; proven by the Portuguese and Columbus)
3. Mars (by war)
4. Aiolus (by fame - other cities join an alliance by their own interest)

... a very simple and understandable logic.

What are the virtues? The eagles ...

1. Jupiter = Justice
2. Apoll = the intellectual god, so Prudentia
3. Mercury = connected to the "innkeeper", so relevant for Temperance
4. Hercules = the man with the lion, Fortitudo

What are the virgins?

1. Minerva ... stands for female industry, but also wisdom - positioned on the same column as her counterpart Venus
2. Diane ... for hunting - positioned on the same column as her female counterpart Apoll
3. Vesta ... for cooking - positioned on the same column as the "innkeeper" Mercury
4. Daphne ... is hunted, becomes wood, stands in the column of the "4 Olympic additions"

All four are female, in the virtues row all are male.

1. Venus - Love; the first column is a presentation of Jupiter + 3 women, but Jupiter might be exchanged with Paris and we have the mythos of the golden apple.
2. Bacchus - Wine, wine is connected to mountains (?) - in this column we've Diane and Apollo as an oppositional pair and Bacchus might be interpreted as opposition to Neptun (sea, so understandable as depth), if he is associated to mountain (mountains are high)
3. Ceres - if we have Mercury as inn-keeper and Vesta as goddess of cooking, then Ceres as goddess of agriculture, corn and bread makes sense in this column. Mars in this row is strange, but he must be inside the 16 and where should he be?
4. Cupido - in the row of the 4 Olympic additions and the row of Fortitudo we see the "fighting of the soul", "mankind in the world". So we have as big contrast the polygam Hercules and the totally frustrating Daphne and the combining god of love between them. And the trumpeting Aiolus in his fame-connection, usually appearing at the the end of the theatre-play.

Well, an idea ... 1424 Alberti wrote Philodoxos, a comedy. 20 years later he wrote Momus and the plot contained a theatre scene with participation of Greek gods.
Comedies have a love affair .. at least one. For instance "Kiss me Kate", a modification of a work of Shakespeare, "The taming of the Shrew". Daphne is a natural "Kate", but in comedies the virgin rarely changes to a piece of wood, but is made usable as a woman.
In the last scene of Philodoxus the trumpeter appears and the game is over. In the 14 Bembo carrds the trumpet also appears at the end.
Last edited by Huck on 16 Nov 2021, 04:28, edited 1 time in total.
Huck

Huck: your description of the Michelino is clear, concise and also goes beyond what I have seen before on the Web. I see that you are attempting to say what aspects of the various gods are important and to connect the cards with one another. You also have one eye on the CY, which I like, i.e. "Fame" and the 4 virtues.

But I would make different connections between cards. To me, the suits are two pairs of complementary opposites. The Middle Ages and Renaissance were fascinated by such double pairs. There was dry vs. wet and hot vs. cold. Their four combinations of two produce the four elements and the four humors. They, too, are sets of opposites. Fire (hot, dry) vs. water (cold, wet) and Air (hot, wet) vs. earth (cold, dry); as well as choleric vs. phlegmatic and sanguine vs. melancholic.

So in the Michelino, we have groups of four. The four elements may be seen in the suit of Riches: earth (Juno), water (Neptune), fire, and air (Aeolis, god of winds). The number four is also featured in the list of virtues, the four Platonic ones; thus we find them in the “virtues” suit, as you observe.

I would go further. Not only do we have groups of four, but four groups of four. two opposing pairs. In the suits, high-flying eagles are air (noble principles), phoenices are fire and metallurgy (e.g. smelting and shaping, into jewelry, coins, weapons, etc.), doves are water (baptism, Noah's scout, Venus’s foam), and turtledoves are earth (melancholy, solid steadfastness in the face of everything); turtledoves were emblems of faithfulness. Here it the eagles and the doves that are opposites, virtue vs. pleasure; and the phoenices and the turtledoves, volatility vs. fixedness, corrupting riches vs. incorruptible virginity, i.e. purity and independence. The trick is to have both pairs in balance, not excluding any.

We see the same pattern of double pairs in the Boiardo: fear vs. hope, and jealousy (i.e. hate) vs. love. And in later traditional play, the warlike Swords and Batons are less beneficial the higher the numbers, while it is the opposite for the peaceloving Cups and Coins.

In this framework of opposing qualities, let us see how the gods contend. Jupiter is Justice, but the charms of Venus--his numerous love affairs-can make him forget his virtue. Apollo's wits are befuddled by Bacchus. Mercury, god of commerce and temperance, evens out the extremes of good harvest and bad, and winter and summer, caused by the changing moods of Ceres. Hercules may be the stongest, bravest man in the world, but small, weak Eros is said to be the most powerful of the gods, to whom even Zeus submits.

In the other set of oppositions, Juno's advocacy of advantageous marriages is balanced by Athena's virginal disdain for submitting to anyone except her father. For nature’s bounty, do we go to the sea or the mountains, the bounty of Diana's quiet forests or of Neptune's turbulent waters? Quiet Vestia and her virgins stick to their hearth while Mars is out conquering the world. Aeolus gives Odysseus a fair wind as long as he keeps the other winds under wraps and his men aren't disloyal; Daphne suffers from others' inability to keep their impulses at bay, but is faithful to herself.

Armed with such contrasting pairs, players of the game could learn lessons in both morality and Greek mythology. Depending on the sequence of the cards in playing a trick-taking game, they could also develop other contrasts from other characteristics of these gods. Whatever helped a player to remember what cards had been played, in the Art of Memory in which all public speakers and children of the nobility were schooled, could have been brought to bear.

SOURCES FOR AEOLUS

I had a hard time contrasting Daphne with Aeolus as Fame, as opposed to Aeolus as benefactor to Odysseus. In the latter capacity he is both the source of riches, for one who knows how to sail by the winds, andt a tester of Odysseus’s men. Greed and lack of loyalty to their captain contrasts with Daphne’s loyalty to herself against Apollo’s uncontrolled desire. Aeolus as Fame seems to me, as it would have to the Milanese humanists, a medieval confusion, whereas Aeolus as keeper of winds is the ancient account that theyi would have favored. I will elaborate.

What I think is the most relevant story about Aeolus is in the Odyssey, Book X:
(http://www.theoi.com/Titan/Aiolos.html). Odysseus is speaking:

“…He [Aeolus] gave me a bag made from the hide of a full-grown ox of his, and in the bag he had penned up every Wind (anemos) that blows whatever its course might be; because Kronion [Zeus] had made him warden of all the Winds (anemoi), to bid each of them rise or fall at his own pleasure. He placed the bag in my own ship’s hold, tied with a glittering silver cord so that through that fastening not even a breath could stray; to Zephyros (the West Wind) only he gave commission to blow for me, to carry onwards my ships and men. Yet he was not after all to accomplish his design, because our own folly ruined us.
For nine days and through nine nights we sailed on steadily; on the tenth day our own country began to heave in sight; we were near enough to see men tending their fires on shore. It was then that beguiling sleep surprised me; I was tired out, because all this time I had kept my own hands on the steering-oar, never entrusting it to one of the crew, for I wished to speed our journey home. Meanwhile the crew began murmuring among themselves; they were sure I was taking home new presents of gold and silver from Aiolos…
Thus the men talked among themselves, and the counsels of folly were what prevailed. They undid the bag, the Winds (anemoi) rushed out all together, and in a moment a tempest (thuella) had seized my crew and was driving them--now all in tears--back to the open sea and away from home…”

Aeolus as controller of the winds also occurs in Book I of the Aeneid, this time acting on the bidding of Juno against Aeneas:

“[50] Thus inwardly brooding with heart inflamed, the goddess came to Aeolia, motherland of storm clouds, tracts teeming with furious blasts. Here in his vast cavern, Aeolus, their king, keeps under his sway and with prison bonds curbs the struggling winds and the roaring gales. They, to the mountain’s mighty moans, chafe blustering around the barriers. In his lofty citadel sits Aeolus, sceptre in hand, taming their passions and soothing their rage; did he not so, they would surely bear off with them in wild flight seas and lands and the vault of heaven, sweeping them through space. But, fearful of this, the father omnipotent hid them in gloomy caverns, and over them piled high mountain masses and gave them a king who, under fixed covenant, should be skilled to tighten and loosen the reins at command.” (http://www.theoi.com/Text/VirgilAeneid1.html)

Aeolus is like the pilot who knows how to use the winds to his advantage. The winds are compared to wild passions, such as that with which Cupid afflicted Apollo for Daphne, but which followers of Aeolus will master.

But what about the other alternative, that Aeolus was meant as Fame, the trumpeter of Renown to all lands, and the bringer of riches by others’ association with the one so graced? Here is what one scholar observes about Eolus:

“In medieval iconography Aeolus was represented blowing two trumpets, as in a miniature in a manuscript of Fulgentius Metaforalis (c. 1331), by John Ridewall (Panofsky, Plate XIII). There Aeolus blows two trumpets while working a pair of bellows with his feet. The trumpets and bellows are briefly described by Albericus Philosophus, De deorum imaginibus libellus XIII (1342). The trumpets of Fame appear in Gower's Mirour de l'omme, 22129-22152.” (http://www.columbia.edu/dlc/garland/dew ... /eolus.htm)

Gower’s poem was written 1376-1379. in Old Anglo-French. I have tried my best to render the basic sense of the two stanzas:

Fortune, tu as deux nacelles
Pour toy servir, si volent celles
Plus q’arandelle vole au vent,
So portont de ta court novellas;
Mais s’au jour d’ey nous porent belles,
Demein les changont laidement:
L’une est que vole au noble gent
C’est Renomee que bell et gent
D’onour les contes les favelles,
Mais l’autre un poy plus asprement
So vole, et ad noun proprement
Desfame, plaine de querelles.

C’est duy par tout u sont Volant
Chascune entour son coil pendant
Porte un grant corn, don’t ton message
Par les paiis s’en vont cornant.
Mais entrechange nepourqant
Souvent faisont de leur cornage,
Car Renome, q’ier vassellage
Cornoit, huy change son langage,
Et d’autre corn s’en vait sufflant,
Qu’est de misere et de hontage:
Sique de toy puet ester sage
Sur terre nul qui soit vivant.

Fortune, you have two baskets
To serve you, which fly
More than tassles fly in the wind,
So they appear like your court novellas;
If yesterday they appeared beautiful to us,
Tomorrow they appear ugly:
The one, which flies to a noble race,
Is Renown, whose tales favor
Beauty and people of honor,
But the other one a bit more disparagingly
Flies, and to none properly
Of fame, but is full of quarrels.

It is from you that all are Flying.
Each, hanging around its neck,
Carries a great horn, sounding
Your message into the lands.
But nonetheless, they often make an exchange,
Because Renown, which yesterday the horn served,
Today changes its language,
And the other horn sounds there instead,
That of misery and shame:
Who is wise to you?
On earth nothing that is alive.
(Complete works of John Gower, vol. 1 p. 248, at Google Books)

But this is only about Fame, Fortune, and the wind; Aeolus is not mentioned.

Oddly enough, just before this passage is what must be one of the earliest references to playing cards in England. I do not recall its being included on the playing card history sites:

“La dee du quell tu juerez
Ore est un siaz, or est un as… (22002ff)

The goddess with whom you play
Now is a six, now an ace… (p. 247)

In another work Gower does speak of Eolus (Confessio Amantis, 2:4:731ff, at http://www.library.rochester.edu/camelo ... av2b4t.htm) . In this tale, which I have not seen elsewhere, one of his daughters becomes pregnant by one of his sons. He has the daughter killed. Could that be the reference? It parallels Daphne’s fate, but it is hardly a tale about riches.

Before Gower there was Chaucer, in his House of Fame, written in Middle English (here modernized):

“And at that she [Persephone?] summoned her messenger who was in the hall, and bade him, on pain of blinding, to go speedily and summon Aeolus, the god of winds: 'ye shall find him in Thrace, and bid him bring his clarions, that be full diverse in their tone. That is called Clear Laud with which he is wont to herald them that I please to have praised; and also bid him bring his other clarion, which everywhere is called Slander, with which he is wont to dishonor them that I will, and to shame them.'” (http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~amtower/HOUSE.HTM)

Did the Milanese know these English sources? I am skeptical. How would they have known them, or Chaucer’s English? They were busy rediscovering the classical past. But were there such references in medieval Latin sources? I have looked in books discussing Chaucer’s sources. Piero Boitani
(Chaucer and the imaginary world of fame, p. 165, at Google Books) observes that one “might have been the Christian commentator Bernardus Sylvestrus, for whom Aeolus meant “glory” and was associated with the “sapientia” of Odysseus, “because all science has its beginning in glory”; and Aeolus’s son is said to come from Aeolus “because the vain love of praise swells up a windy voice.”

As far as Albricus Philosophius, in his treatise entitled De Deoum Imaginibus, this English writer, according to the 19th century scholar identifying him as a possible source, is extremely obscure, not listed in any book of English biographers (Studies in Chaucer, Vol. 2, by T.R. Lounsbury, at Google Books.) It is clear in Lounsbury that there are two trumpets, but not what they are used for.

These sources, still mostly English, do suggest the possibility that there was a common understanding that Aeolis/Eolis blew the trumpets of Fame and Scandal. The Milanese thus could conceivably have associated Aeolus with Fame.

But barring some reference of which I am aware, it still seems that the Odyssey is a far more likely source. There are two others in Latin that may help to diffuse the doubt: Virgil’s Aeneid again and Ovid’sMetarmorphoses. In Virgil, I have found one more reference, besides that in Book I to Aeolis as the keeper of the winds; the other is in Book VI. This later book would have been read closely in Milan at this time because the humanist Decembrio, one of the commentators on the Michelino, in 1419 wrote a continuation of the Aeneid, which he called “Book XIII” (http://www.virgil.org/supplementa/decembrio.htm); it was only 89 lines, but it may have inspired a longer “continuation” in 1428 by another humanist, which Decembrio considered “plagiarism).

In Book VI we read:

“And as they came, they see on the dry beach Misenus, cut off by untimely death – Misenus, son of Aeolus, surpassed by none in stirring men with his bugle’s blare, and in kindling with his clang the god of war. He had been great Hector’s comrade, at Hector’s side he braved the fray, glorious for clarion and spear alike; but when Achilles, victorious, stripped his chief of life, the valiant hero came into the fellowship of Dardan Aeneas, following no meaner standard. Yet on that day, while by chance he made the seas ring with his hollow shell – madman – and with his blare calls the gods to contest, jealous Triton, if the tale can win belief, caught and plunged him in the foaming waves amid the rocks.” (http://www.theoi.com/Text/VirgilAeneid6.html)

And here is Ovid, Metamorphoses XIV, 101ff:

“When he had passed those islands, and left the walls of Parthenope behind him to starboard, the tomb of Misenus, the trumpeter, the son of Aeolus, was to larboard, and the shore of Cumae, a place filled with marshy sedges.” (http://etext.virginia.edu/latin/ovid/tr ... orph14.htm)

It is Misenus, not Aeolus himself, who is the trumpeter. For these early humanists, it was important to get one’s classical sources accurate and not rely on careless medieval sources (see Wikipedia, Renaissance Humanism). If anyone meant Aeolus’s son, they would likely have said as much. I conclude—again, barring information I may have missed--on several grounds, that the Aeolus of Odyssey Book X is the likeliest candidate for the Aeolus of the Michelino.

hi Mike.

first, we also were puzzled about Aiolus ... then Chaucer was detected, and the whole was regarded with suspicious eyes (English, how could this be) ... but then the upright row in the last column was realised (Eros - Daphne - Aiolus - Hercules) and associated with Petrarca's chapters in Trionfi.
Petrarca was (long) in France (Avignon), so inside the mix, which made French/English ideas formed outside of Italy. He might have been the one, who made "Fame" a major category (perhaps according an Northern influence).

The blowing Aiolus should have been a prefered feature for mapmakers. Mapmakers should have got their jobs from seafaring nations. The English were a seafaring nation. Others famous in this art were Genova and Venice, and since 1421 Filippo Maria Visconti became owner of the city of Genova. So at least since then Filippo Maria was confronted with such things like Aiolus, directions of winds in specific seasons, weather observations and other connected very specific details, which are not interesting for a lot of other people, living with no contact to the sea (as usual for the Milanese refion for instance).

So Fame=Aiolus has also an Italian presence, though the association might have developed in Northern regions. Milan is estimated to have had in 1424 an income by trade not smaller than that of Venice.

But there is another dimension in the Michelino. It's a chess allegory.

Jupiter = King
Juno = Queen
Minerva = King's pawn
Venus = Queen's pawn

well, and then we have 3 columns with

bishops (Apollo column)
knights (Mercury column)
rooks (Hercules column)

All arranged in the manner, that the turtle dove row is a pawn's row, likely that on the King-side, and the dove row is the pawn's row at the side of the Queen.
The two upper rows (eagle + phoenix) are arranged according to the chess officers.

In the logic shown in the mail before there were two not good recognizable positions, which were Bacchus (as mountain ?) and Mars (has logic in the phoenix row) in the column given to Temperance and so responsible in matters, which are good for the body and health (like Mercury as innkeeper, the cooking Vesta and Ceres for bread and corn) - this looked strange.

But if take the common chess pattern as the base, then these both figures are not strange at their position, but explained.

Mars should be the "bad" knight in contrast to the "good" knight Mercury. The connection "knight" - Mars should be obviously good chosen.

Bacchus has a position as a pawn - the pawns are defined by Cessolis, who wrote the dominating chess-book, which became farspread in 14th century. According this arrangement the bishop's pawn (Queen's side) was defined as "Innkeeper" and comparing the Bacchus definition ("God of Wine") with the Cessolis arrangement then it's clear: a good choice.

Well, the object of Filippo Maria (if he made this composition) or Martiano (in the case, that he took more influence than Filippo) was a "new" composition of gods, reflecting influences which already existed, Greek mythology as a whole, common influence like Cessolis and Petrarca's Trionfi ideas. So he opened a unique composition, which looks strange to us, as it never became a major stream, but a singular object not distributed by the later bookprinting.

As far we got, there are two influences, from which we assume, that they reached Filippo Maria: Once the Manilius work, that Poggio found near of Constance. Poggio was then in the entourage of the new pope Martin, when they visited Milan after the council. In the Manilius poem the order of 12 Olympic gods existed, so Filippo should have known the order (in the Michelino deck he variated the order of the Manilius manuscript ... which was already done in antique times, so possibly Filippo had also other infirmation).
Then there was a trend in French literature to play with the Cessolis ideas and it was attempted to bring chess and allegoric figures appearing in the very popular Roman de la Rose together. This development was crowned by the "Echecs d'armour" of Evrart da Conty, in its length a monstruous work of encyclopedic dimensions, in which he organized as major plot a young man entering the garden of love and finding defeat in a chess game against a young girl. Any of the 32 figures is allegorical named and the 16 figures of the girl are not the 16 figures of the young man - one sees, that the considerations of Evrart da Conty were far more complex than those of Michelino and Filippo Maria.
Evrart da Conty has a major part of the book dedicated to the description of 16 Greek/Roman gods - the passage, where he related the 16 gods to the 32 figures couldn't be found - although we had this text from the library in a modern edition. It's written in Old French, and as nobody was perfect in French this research was difficult and there is no guarantee, that this passage doesn't exist. And the book is a monster as it offers very much text ... ca. 1000 pages, written in small letters.

The 16 gods of Evrart da Conty are not those of the Michelino deck. They have similarities to the arrangement of Albericus, which should be called their influence.

So far we see:

1. Michelino deck - 16 trumps in a chess allegory
2. Cary-Yale Tarocchi - 16 trumps in a chess allegory fitting with 64 small cards (64 fields at a chess board)
3. Charles VI Tarocchi has "surviving" 16 trumps (it's our assumption, that these 16 trumps are the complete trumps set and that these 16 trumps presents a development on the base of the Cary Yale Tarocchi)

Which in comparition is of equal "evidence value", than that, what we know about decks with possibly 5x14-structure:

1. Document with "14 figure" at 1.1.1441
2. 68 of 70 cards of Bonifacio Bembo
3. 70 cards note in Ferrara

So somehow our old theory "5x14-theory" meanwhile has been altered to a theory about "5x14 and about chess allegory decks". Or with an other expression, it had become a "research about early creative use of the medium
playing cards before mass production and standardization".
The "5x14-theory" had the function of a door opener to another view at the early Trionfi cards.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/10672/10 ... 0672-h.htm
Caxton translation of Cessolis might be helpful

Last picture in echecs amoureux

God representations in Echecs amoureux editions (Neptun)

http://www.goddesschess.com/chessays/th ... epochs.pdf
This interesting article refers to echecs amoureux and also points out, that the love affair between chess and Greek gods was not a singular appearance in Renaissance, but a repeated topic. So Filippo's contribution is part of a series of others.
Last edited by Huck on 11 Oct 2009, 10:36, edited 1 time in total.
Huck

mikeh wrote: Oddly enough, just before this passage is what must be one of the earliest references to playing cards in England. I do not recall its being included on the playing card history sites:

“La dee du quell tu juerez
Ore est un siaz, or est un as… (22002ff)

The goddess with whom you play
Now is a six, now an ace… (p. 247)
More probably referring to dice, not cards...???

Steve: Yes, I'm sure you're right about dice. I didn't think about that. When I hear "ace," I assume cards; I wasn't aware the 1 was called the same thing in dice. But it makes sense. The context is certainly that of lows and highs, and a six is not high in the card games I know.

Huck: Aeolus is not a wind, even a generic one or all of them, nor a deity identified with them individually or collectively. When mapmakers put personifications of winds on the corners of maps, huffing and puffing, none of them was named Aeolus. In some classical accounts, they were Aeolus's children. But he himself did not do any blowing of anything. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anemoi. The Milanese humanists, from their knowledge of the Aeneid and the Odyssey, would not have made Chaucer's misinterpretation. For a Renaissance line-up of the four winds with the four elements and four temperaments, see Durer's Philosophia (below, from http://www.fourhares.com/philosophy/philosophy.html):

I am bogged down reading your Italian website on the Bembos and Zavattari, on which I will have a report shortly. For my lighter reading, I am looking at discussions of the phoenix as a Renaissance image. I'll get to chess eventually. Thanks for laying out the theory for me.

hi Mike,

we've the phenemenon, that Aiolus is inside the Filippo Maria's order. It's curious, so it hasn't an usual explanation. I don't know, what the Milanese experts usually thought - in this case Aiolus appears in an arranged order and surely not without reason.
For the Greek Aiolus - there were two of them. One had the function as the father of some Greek tribes, which distributed in the form of his son. Sysiphos was one of them, another Salmoneus. Sysiphos is suspected to have been a weather god, and Salmoneus was riding on a chariot and threw lightnings around him like Zeus. As this he was judged by Zeus and it didn't went well with him.
Likely an older gods cult, who became degenerated by more modern explanations, as there are for instance the Olympian gods and their usual pattern "12 Olympic gods". In this context Aiolus looks like a modification of Uranos, who had 12 Titans as children, 6 male and 6 female, and a similar structure was used for Aiolus, the wind god. In the case of the Greek ancestor Aiolus, he got similar much children, but there are too many sons, cause the mythographers became occasionally confused by their numbers.
So there is a relation Aiolos 1 - Aiolus 2 - Uranus. The whole model is "distribution" and "going in every direction" or simply "espansion". South-North-West-East-top-bottom, so there are 6 sons and these are the winds.

So Aiolus is the father of the winds and so the center of the six directions. The common wind names "Boreas" etc. (as used at maps) have descended from the Titan marriage Eos-Aristaios, again in a 6+1 model, although the mythographs differ. The context of the figures Uranos - Aiolos 1 - Aiolos 2 - Aristaios also differs, but it's always the same idea.
Surely interpretations, which lead Greek mythology stories to realistic wanderings of the Greek people are likely modern and probably foreign to 14th/15th century interpreters. But the argument, that Aiolus is not a god of the wind, cause he doesn't appear on maps, don't count.

For Chaucer we have "1378 Chaucer travels to Italy Milan on a diplomatic mission." For his fame it's stated "The House of Fame is a poem by Geoffrey Chaucer, probably written between 1379 and 1380 ..." , if we adapt this dating as correct, it would have rather immediately after he was in Milan.
In Italy Petrarca in 1375 had died near Padova, leaving his poem Trionfi (with the figure Fame) unfinished. It's enough time to assume, that till 1378 a copy had reached Milan, and somehow likely, that some persons spoke about this poem - especially as the work on the poem had its begin in Petrarca's Milanese period.

Also there had been a Milanese-English marriage in 1468 ...

Lionel, Duke of Clarence 14.9.1361, *Antwerp 29.11.1338, +Alba, Piedmont 17.10.1368, bur Clare Priory, Suffolk; 1m: Tower of London 9.9.1342 Elizabeth de Burgh (*Carrickfergus Castle, Ulster 6.7.1332, +Dublin 10.12.1363, bur Clare Priory, Suffolk); 2m: St.Maria Church, Milan 28.5.1368 Violante Visconti (*ca 1353 +1386)

.. an English prince in the best age had died in Italy at this opportunity. It's not reported, if Chaucer had there (but Petrarca was there) ...

http://books.google.com/books?id=1EED68 ... q=&f=false

Even if (what's likely) that Chaucer was not in Milan 1368, it seems probable, that he got some parts of the story of this earlier Italian journey.

However ... "In October 1360 peace negotiations were arranged at Calais. Prince Lionel paid Chaucer for carrying letters from Calais to England. These diplomatic errands and messenger services were the first of many journeys."

Well, he was near to Lionel already then. He had experiences with foreign countries. Why shouldn't he have gone on this earlier journey to Milan ... these delegations to the marriages were often rather big, and there was not always opportunity to name all participants. The life description does not mention him elsewhere.

http://www.librarius.com/chauchro.htm

The life description gives work on "The Book of the Duchess", but she died in 1369, so a longer time after the marriage.

Here it is: Chaucer went to Italy "3 times" (though "1368 is only putative"). The second journey was 1373/74 to Genova and Florence - but (likely) two times to Milan (the text notes, than none of the journeys appears in Chaucer's writings; they are only known by documents).

http://books.google.com/books?id=2HERnl ... ly&f=false

Added:

I found, that Chaucer wrote a text "the parlement of the Foules", also called "Parlement of the birds".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parlement_of_Foules
Huck

Good research on Chaucer's trip to Italy, Huck. Chaucer's poem was in English. Did Petrarch read English? I don't know. They would have spoken in Latin. Perhaps he just knew the title and general theme of Chaucer's book; that would have been enough to suggest to him including "fame" in his Triumphs.

And anyway, what is of concern the circle around Decembrio, early 1400's, not Petrarch late 1300's. They wouldnot have repeated Chaucer's error. I don't know if the Milanese humanists would have thought in terms of Aeolus as Uranos or not. It is possible. What is more important is that they would not have had Aeolus as representing the winds, because they based their own work on their knowledge of the Greek and Latin texts, i.e. the Odyssey and the Aeneid, where Aeolus clearly is more of a king or demi-god than a god like Uranos. As such he is like at least two of the other members of his column in the Michelino: Hercules, a man of mythic proportions who became elevated to a demi-god, and Daphne, a nymph rather than a god.

I don't see Aeolus in the deck for Philippo Maria, assuming you mean the Cary-Yale. Al I see, at most, is the goddess Fama. Where is Aeolus?