Re: Poem with ...-occh (1779 - Domenico Balestrieri)

marco wrote: I think the reference is only to the Wheel of Fortune (X). “Biccocch” possibly means “stumbling people”, Here it could refer to drunkards.

Thanks Marco -- I think biccoch is most likely the Lombardian 'bicocca', spinning wheel (guindolo or arcolaio in Italian).

I was reading asp as aspo (like a reel, as a spinning wheel)

Also I read scocch as the Lombardia / Canton Ticino 'scoca' - "altalena" (swings, sways) in Italian,

so was reading it 'in this world full of ups and downs.'

However, it could mean both? He seems to use a few words that have double meanings, one of them being fool, e.g., gnocch means both dumpling and fool, marzocch has several meanings, beside fool, monkey, puppy, tawny owl; boiocch = fool/turnip. (A pattern starting with Tarocch? Both a card game and fool!) .

another Milanese word for altalena is listròca, related to "Chi ha del lest, chi del lisrocch" ??
Last edited by SteveM on 30 Oct 2015, 05:11, edited 2 times in total.

SteveM wrote:
marco wrote: I think the reference is only to the Wheel of Fortune (X). “Biccocch” possibly means “stumbling people”, Here it could refer to drunkards.

Thanks Marco -- I think biccoch is most likely the Lombardian 'bicocca', spinning wheel (guindolo or arcolaio in Italian).
Also related to bicocchin, Pirouette.
SteveM wrote: Also I read scocch as the Lombardia / Canton Ticino 'scoca' - "altalena" (swings, sways) in Italian,

However, it could mean both? He seems to use a few words that have double meanings, one of them being fool, e.g., gnocch means both dumpling and fool; marzocch has several meanings, beside fool, monkey, puppy, tawny owl; boiocch = fool/turnip. (A pattern starting with Tarocch? Both a card game and fool!) .
There is also scocchee = motteggiatore (jester, mocker, teaser, scoffer).

SteveM wrote:

I was reading asp as aspo (like a reel, as a spinning wheel)

Also I read scocch as the Lombardia / Canton Ticino 'scoca' - "altalena" (swings, sways) in Italian,

Hello Steve, you are right both about "bicocca" and "scocca"! It makes much more sense like this. I was mistakenly reading "sciocch": my bad.