Re: Article of A. VITALI about Trionfini

I like this one : ;;)

Traiano Boccalini (1556-1613) is famous for having composed the work De' Ragguagli di Parnaso (On Details of Parnassus), a satirical work on Italian politics of the time. The work, which is divided in three Centuries, were published, the First in 1612, the Second the following year, while the Third appeared posthumously in 1615 under the title Pietra di Paragone Politico (Political Yardstick). The Ragguagli are intended as statement that describe events, discussions, and also processes that occur in the Mount Parnassus, where, in addition to Apollo and the Muses as rulers, lives a large group of very popular politicians of the time. Debating on ideas and men, both past and present, the author makes a critical but he is resigned on inevitability of any form of substantial change, a resignation that leads him to choose, in many occasions, the lesser evil. It is important to remember that the Avviso77 (Notice 77) of the Ragguagli, in its Latin translation, became part of the Society of Rosicrucian’s Manifesto (Fama Fraternitatis).

Our attention is draw to the Ragguaglio II of the first Centuria, where it is described as a scribbler and card player, first imprisoned for having composed verses without art, then he was release and even appointed as teacher of the game of Trionfetti. As scholars, the bad poet will real writers and philosophers, all engaged in learning, in a special gymnasium built for the occasion, the rules of the game that Apollo himself ended by considering excellent science. Most important than philosophy, poetry, astrology and mathematics. Forcing his scholars to think the same, the result is a not indifferent satire on court life, where the real interest is forcibly replaced by the ephemeral and insignificant need to learn one of the greatest secrets, that is “che ogni cartaccia di Trionfo piglia tutte le più belle figure”" (Each worthless card of Triumphs wins over all the most beautiful figures).

First Centuria - Detail II

The ordinary Guard of the Territory of Parnassus, having captured a bad poet banned from Parnassus under penalty of death, find in his socks a playing cards deck and once seen by Apollo, he order him that he read in the public schools the game of Trionfetto.

So that rude people do not profane the virtuous places of Parnassus with their dirty minds, for many years Apollo did come from Sicily two companies of Poets, liars and comedians, brave and talented experts in rhyme; whose job is always to travel the country and keep the area clean from mediocrity. This people, eight days ago, imprisoned a bad poet, banned from Parnassus, which despite being forbidden to read and write, he still in spite of Apollo and in contempt of the serene muses, continued all day to spot papers with verses, as to require the sovereign name of Poet. A deck of playing cards, which cops found in his stockings trying catch him. Those cards, which to be obvious flaw, carry with them the death penalty of that miserable man. These cards were immediately delivered to Apollo who was extremely surprised of the bad invention that the vicious have been able to find, to throw the time away, to consumer reputation and mental faculties.

But the amazement of His Majesty was too much, when he understood that the folly of men had gone over to call game that thing for which people so cruelly run into debt, and that pleasure, amusement and recreation compromise that money that is acquired with so much sweat, which serves so many things that without it the modern world considers like an ignorant Aristotle and commoner Alexander the Great. Apollo asked to him what kind of card game was the most familiar above all others, and because he's said to be the Trionfetto, Apollo commanded him playing to it, and he immediately obeyed. Not so easy, His Majesty understood the dark magisterium of such game, then said that the game of Trionfetto was the true philosophy of the courtiers, the much-needed science, which all men had to learn if did not want to live in a foolish way of life.

Showing that he was very sorry for the insult it had been done at that man, first, he honored him with the name of virtuous, and after, having made him to untie, commanded to janitors to open, the morning after, a particular grammar school, where with the salary of five hundred crowns for year, the remarkable man, for everyone’s benefit, should read the very attractive game of Trionfetto, and under very severe penalties imposed to Platonists, to Peripatetics and to all moral philosophers, and every other virtuous of Parnassus, that would learn that necessary science, which, in order to they don’t forget it, forced them to practice the game an hour a day.

To literates seemed a very strange that a so vile cop game could be so useful to get information on men life, but all nevertheless knew that His Majesty never commanded to do something that brought no fruit to his great virtuous persons, so willingly obeyed, so that the school of that game was very popular. But as soon as literates discovered the dark magisterium, the hidden secrets and the worthy of admiration tricks of the most excellent game of the Trionfetto, praised the high evaluation of His Majesty up to the eighth heaven, celebrating and magnifying for every place that neither Philosophy or Poetics or Mathematics or Astrology or the other and most prestigious sciences were able to teach the most important secrets, but only the admirable Trionfetto game, especially to those who lived at the courts, that is ”that any worthless card of Triumphs takes all the most beautiful figures”.
http://www.sgdl-auteurs.org/alain-bouge ... Biographie

Alain - I can't believe you just posted about this, as I just posted an article on my blog on the subject of Boccalini's I Raggvagli. What a synchronicity. Now I have to make some changes regarding whether it is about tarot or not!

Anyway, I think you'll find my article of interest as it goes more into the Rosicrucian and some other interesting connections. Plus a lot of speculation,
http://marygreer.wordpress.com/2011/02/ ... ds-part-3/

Yes, the synchronicity is indeed funny ... :-)

Recently I detected 3 persons working on the same stuff, apparently independent of each other, the soldier's tale,

Andrea Vitali ...
http://www.letarot.it/Le-Dodici-Parole- ... 9_ita.aspx
only in Italian

Mary
http://marygreer.wordpress.com/2011/01/ ... itualized/

myself in a minor contribution in this forum
Re: Trionfi.com: News and Updates

Post by Huck on 20 Jan 2011, 18:43
http://resources.metapress.com/pdf-prev ... ze=largest

... contains some notes to the origin of the story told at Kaplan I, page 11, about a soldier with a card deck as prayer book. Only the first page is free ...
I found this link, before I saw Mary's article and before Andrea's note about his new article. As far I remember, it was indeed "nearly the same day", when I became aware of the two others ... .-)

This time (regarding the Boccalini text) the information was new to me, but I've recently written about the Fama Fraternatis
http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p= ... ost2600381
(not a "usual topic" to me)
"4 weeks" ago according aeclectic
I reflected then a post of Mary (Rosenkreutzer-theme), so this might be a "normal coincidence".

... :-) ... for Andrea's recent series of Tarot topics productions I would assume, that Andrea has just detected "English" and "general Internet" with a good and better background of earlier Italian productions than we're able to have. So we will see other nice surprises, I would assume for the future.
That's fine ... we need this international cooperation.
Huck
http://trionfi.com

I love the work of VItali, and the new website for the association is just terrific. It's great to see his articles there, and to see him and others producing more work. International co-operation like this is, as Huck mentions, really important and surely the way for the next wave of tarot history to be explored.

Well done! :-bd